Has anyone seen Bryan Johnson's Project Blueprint?

Alex K Chen

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed the video, certainly seems on top of the research for optimal health.  There seems to also however be some vibe of disfunction there, like he is trying to figure something out but doesn't really know what he's looking for, haha.  I hope people are productive and not just obsessed with squeezing out a couple extra years of life. I seriously doubt that there will be significant differences in healthspan or longevity between someone like the guy in this video and someone who just does the basics of healthy mostly plant based eating, 20 to 22 BMI and a reasonable amount of daily exercise (10 minute HIIT workout and some walking or gardening, or bike riding) and getting good sleep and NOT taking 75 supplements a day 😉 If anything I would guess the non-OCD person will live longer and save a lot of $ not buying supplements.

22 hours ago, Gordo said:

I enjoyed the video, certainly seems on top of the research for optimal health.  There seems to also however be some vibe of disfunction there, like he is trying to figure something out but doesn't really know what he's looking for, haha.  I hope people are productive and not just obsessed with squeezing out a couple extra years of life. I seriously doubt that there will be significant differences in healthspan or longevity between someone like the guy in this video and someone who just does the basics of healthy mostly plant based eating, 20 to 22 BMI and a reasonable amount of daily exercise (10 minute HIIT workout and some walking or gardening, or bike riding) and getting good sleep and NOT taking 75 supplements a day 😉 If anything I would guess the non-OCD person will live longer and save a lot of $ not buying supplements.

don't forget he's trying to sell you something. So what you see on camera might not be a true reflection of what he does.

I do agree, he's gone overboard in my opinion, spending 3 hours on workout, taking stupid amount of pills and overly obsessed with perfection.

this isn't sustainable for decades. life isn't as simple but when you are a billionaire you get rid of anything that gets in the way of whatever he's doing, i.e. life

considering the video is so old, his company and vision don't seem to have taken off

• 1 month later...

IMHO it looks like he already lost at least 2 years of his life in severe obsession with parameters hacking instead of enjoying his life with family or delight of discovery or whatever could inspire him

but maybe I am wrong and he really enjoys such a psychological state, I personally don't and I am scared I don't know how to block myself entering into such a state again ..

Br,

Igor

edited to add

a crunchers' (https://beta.openai.com/playground) opinion on testosterone leveling up with exogenous sources:

is artificially elevated with plasters testosterone level good for healthy people?

No, it is not good for healthy people to artificially elevate their testosterone levels with plasters. Testosterone is a hormone that plays an important role in the body, and it should be kept at a balanced level. Too much testosterone can cause a range of health problems, including acne, hair loss, infertility, and an increased risk of prostate cancer.

well, high levels are a health predictor (keeping in mind that it is based on math model and "all models are wrong, some are useful"(c)), but what artificially elevated level predicts in a particular case is an open question, maybe nothing but intervening with hormones without strong reason to avoid a known bad thing is too risky I would say

Edited by IgorF
what chatgpt concludes on testosterone plasters

8 hours ago, Saintor said:

I am surprised that his total cholesterol is not under 150 as he claims to be a vegan

During my vegan stint total cholesterol was 170 mg/dL. Last time I saw, after a couple of years of regular intake of saturated fats from animal sources (again, dairy products, mainly lowfat), total cholesterol was 173.

To me, the above means simply that the natural homeostatic system is keeping plasma cholesterol within reasonable amounts. Non-HDL cholesterol was 106 mg/dL, so well below the advised upper bound of 130. Trygs were pretty low.

The above just to show that genetic or epigenetic loss of homeostatic efficiency is often the cause of hypercholesterolemia rather than dietary intake. It is reported that many vegan have high total cholesterol, and even some VLF vegans, who follow the suggestions of eliminating all vegetable oils and nuts, have tot chol higher than 200 mg/dL.

Of course, I'm not going to look for trouble and start eating whipped cream or fat cheese. But the issue of homeostasis is basic. Oftentimes, age for various reasons seems to disrupt homeostasis as it apparently happened with my glycemia, and there I had to take measures like cutting all carbs.

Regarding chole - there is artificially increased HDL around 70 on the link above, perhaps by NAD in the supps, thus the regimen itself could probably bring 20 points lower TC and IMHO it will be healthier, HDL is not good according to Tom Dayspring and such increase was not shown to improve the all cause mortality according to many studies.

Br,

Igor

I finally got to watch the vid. It's interesting to see such levels of precision and dedication although I agree that probably the huge commitment is disproportionate to the gains; at least, probably about 75% of the healthspan/longevity benefits you can have with relatively little effort (what the average member does here), beyond that level of benefit the effort becomes higher and higher, such that not everyone has the time or means required.

Again, everything interesting, for example the tibial muscles workout which probably has the purpose to increase legs strength and stability and avoid falls.

I saw some more vids and material from Bryan Johnson. Basically, he goes, let's see what happens by adopting state of the art preventive and anti-aging medicine, without any budget constraints, with full adherence and time commitment. It is the absolute upper-bound, not replicable by others, but we might choose one single aspect and try to replicate it, like for example the health and rejuvenation of one organ (among the 70 he monitors), the diet, the supplementation.

The fitness related results are impressive. Bryan does 20-25% CR on a vegan diet but is able to keep an about 23 kgm-2 BMI with 6-7% bodyfat, efficient and visible musculature and nontrivial strength. I'm impressed by the level of his optimization. He takes about 29 gr of pea protein per day, but overall low DIAAS protein, he does take some EAAs products I think I understood though.

The vast array of supplementation also may help in this aspect.

I could not understand some other aspects, for example why eat pureed vegetables, maybe I'm going to ask him if reachable.

His material needs to be studied carefully, its a n=1 experiment but the depth to which he goes is unprecedented.

Yes, that's probably the main nonplussing aspect. Presently he is on 2000 vegan kcals, I don't know if he lost some decimal figures in his BMI.

But Dean, who also exercises intensely and eats about 3000 kcals per day, has a BMI of 18-19 kgm-2.

Can his (Bryan Johnson's) prodigious maintenance of muscle mass on a significantly calories-reduced diet and a strict vegan regimen be explained by a little DHEA and testosterone patches listed in his supplements stack?

Yes the comments are pretty balanced, it's also interesting to know that the testosterone patches are meant to make up for a deficiency in such hormone ostensibly caused by significant CR. So, this same testosterone supplementation, together with DHEA, amino acids and protein supplementation, may in part explain the high BMI compared to the high degree of CR (about 24% according to the vid).

Thanks for the link, I did not know Tom Bilieau's podcast.

I started listening to it.

With reference to Tom's remark on Bryan's great looks as an elf and so on...: Honestly speaking, to me it looks not really a big improvement with respect to his former self.

To me it seems 'weird', a little like a wax mask, no imperfections and all. This is a common look to people who practice heavy cosmetic interventions on their skin.

Of course, in presence it may be different, but that specific improvement is not necessarily desirable to all. I would like to get rid of some spots and wrinkles in my face but going extreme would make me reluctant.

I went further in the listening and found the answer to my previous question: why he's eating pureed meals. He answers simply that he likes it because it has the texture of hummus, so it's just personal preference.

He also practiced OMAD, but went down to 3% body fat with the same level of CR (2K Kcals) and that was deemed unhealthy. 

The huge stack of supplements has its rationale simply in the fact that 2000 vegan calories does not provide sufficient micronutrients (EAAS included, I would add). This is not new to CR practitioners.

DHEA and Testosterone supplementation has probably the same purpose as stated in an earlier post.

The message is that CR is considered to be optimal for health and slower aging, but it disrupts some balances (form example, testosterone levels) which are artificially restored by supplementation.

I couldn't follow very well the conversation when it drifted from the nutrition and intervention issues to AI, sociology, philosophy and so on. I could follow the issue of the old Bryan-personality and letting the organs, not the mind govern, but here I do not agree totally.

All in all, a very interesting podcast.

Edited by mccoy

The review is pretty hyronical but it must be said that the author tried the diet for five days. I think I understood the breakfast (not sure I'd be able to eat it all) but not quite the other meals. Also, the author says about 1200 kcal rather than 2000. A 800 kcals difference is not trivial, maybe some fats were lost somewhere?

While looking at the meals I stumbled upon the ammino complex supplements. It's really a thorough suppelmentation of EAAs, the ones not taken, or not taken enough with the dietary regimen I guess. By the way 1.25 grams of Leucine, the daily serving in a scoop, is the amount contained in 400 grams of lowfat milk.

image.png.2f214375688486f26cb0747f8a77f05c.png