Greg Fahy and thymus rejuvenation

mccoy

I came across a couple of podcasts, the guy is mostly known in the field of cryopreservation of organs and led a TRIIM study. Basically administered a cocktail (main ingredient recombinant HGH) and lots of miraculous things manifested, in addition to thymus regeneration. n=9, so now he's designing a TRIIM-X experiment. The cocktail slowed down epigenetic aging by 2.5 years in one year of treatment! Dr. Fahy is pretty rigorous in his presentations, sells pretty well his experiment but is honest in giving caveats at the end

2 hours ago, mccoy said:

Basically administered a cocktail (main ingredient recombinant HGH) and lots of miraculous things manifested

I wonder what are the other ingredients?  I am trying to maximize GH/IGF-1 because it has been shown beneficial for my degenerative disease SBMA but most here believe this is something to minimize or at least moderate.

There is already a huuuuge, GH promotion industry, established in the last decades, partially grey. It is already spread around the world, involving so much people that any significant effect except people's own experience of "feeling younger" and their assurance of "doing the right thing" should be already visible statistically. AFAIR there are no significant life prolongation effects observed yet, otherwise a lot of business players as well as fair researchers would have been already joined the further research.

Maybe I am too sceptical on the topic but humans are just scratched the surface of this "alien machinery" of enzyme-catalized reactions that creates the never-to-be-understood-by-the-human-brain complexity of the cells and cell communities networks. The best tools we do have now are like a hammer and the research area is like the whole internet, so we have a lot of work to be done without expectation of a major breakthrough. Maybe AI and quantum computers will be able to welcome us to the next level by guiding us into the right paths or helping our brains to discover these paths and investigate further. And for such important things like GH there will definitely be the regimen that will have some significant effect but - under some circumstances, with some limitations and trade-offs and (a guess) with some sophisticated delivery mechanism on the microlevel (place, doze, time, feedback loops and so on, something like modern construction works vs primordial caves).

Br,

Igor

10 hours ago, Todd Allen said:

I wonder what are the other ingredients?  I am trying to maximize GH/IGF-1 because it has been shown beneficial for my degenerative disease SBMA but most here believe this is something to minimize or at least moderate.

From the official site of clinical trials

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04375657

Study Description

Go to  sections
Brief Summary:

The TRIIM-X trial is an expanded pilot clinical study that will evaluate a personalized combination treatment regimen for thymus regeneration. The thymus is a part of the immune system that declines markedly with age, and regenerating it may prevent or reverse key aspects of immunosenescence (immune system aging) and potentially prevent or reverse key parts of the aging process more generally. The study will evaluate biomarkers for epigenetic aging and immunosenescence, as well as evaluate established clinical measures and risk factors for prevention of physical frailty, cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, dementia, and also infectious diseases, including flu and COVID-19.

The study uses multiple agents in combination with personalized doses of recombinant human growth hormone (somatropin), metformin, and DHEA, in a similar manner to how the combination treatment was applied in the earlier TRIIM trial at Stanford, which demonstrated strong statistical significance for the primary efficacy endpoints that will be evaluated in TRIIM-X. Somatropin is approved by the FDA for adult growth hormone deficiency and its use in the study is guided by prior safety data established for that use and also based on safety data available on its prior use in the TRIIM trial and in clinical practice in healthy elderly individuals. There will also be control groups that enable testing of biomarker variability and the contribution of individual medications within the combination treatment.

The objective of the study is to obtain information needed for designing an effective personalized and adaptive treatment regimen for a larger and more diverse study population, and to obtain additional proof of principle for the new use of the medications and biomarkers for preventive medicine. The duration of treatment in the TRIIM-X trial will be 12 months.

More details on the administration modalities and dosage of GH

During the TRIIM trial’s first week, Fahy and his colleagues only administered hGH (0.015 mg/kg—just to contextualize hGH dosing, professional athletes and bodybuilders typically take about double the amount these men took) to obtain an initial insulin response. They then added DHEA the following week to observe the insulin suppression by DHEA alone, and then threw in metformin during the third week. Doses were adjusted to maximize participants’ insulin growth factor (IGF-1) and minimize insulin levels.

https://sciencetranslated.org/the-hgh-cocktail-a-potion-for-living-longer/

Probably since there is administration of GH and DHEA, the results should be monitored for years. The trial only lasts 12 months. Is Dr. Fahy taking his own cocktail? I agree on his young appearance but wonder if his hair and beard are dyed. Not dyed, would be absolutely good for age 72, sign that he's on to some significant breakthru.

At the end of it, basically Dr. Fahy's protocol is nothing but a particular kind of Hormone Therapy.

What would attract me is also that GH sends a strong growth signal to ligaments, which have been giving me some trouble when training.

We all know GH is pro-aging, but a moderate dosage of it plus the appropriate countermeasures might shift the balance to anti-aging.

Just sitting on the fence and see the results of the more recent TRIIM-X trial. By the way, in other podcasts, Dr. Fahy affirms he has been assuming the cocktail himself for a few years...

4 hours ago, mccoy said:

I agree on his young appearance but wonder if his hair and beard are dyed. Not dyed, would be absolutely good for age 72, sign that he's on to some significant breakthru.

Bullshit.

To give you an example:  In my elementary school classes, from first grade thru 11th grade (age well under 10), one of my classmates, Paul Essenfeld, had gray hair.  He was perfectly healthy.

(Of course, one case proves nothing -- about as bad a "proof" as this presenter's hair color.)

--  Saul

9 hours ago, mccoy said:

That's the formula: rhGH+DHEA+Metformin

Thanks.  My guess is metformin is helpful to counteract exogenous GH's impact on blood sugar.  The precursor for DHEA is cholesterol and DHEA is the precursor for many steroid hormones.  With the obsession on tanking cholesterol and falling levels of sex hormones I could see how DHEA might help.

I do strength training sessions in a sauna each night before bed.  Both heat and strength training are known stimulants of GH and the combination gives me deep restful sleep which I think also helps.  I shifted to eating my meal early in the day such that I am more deeply fasted while sleeping when GH levels peak.  That and eating low carb mean the GH is helpfully countering my naturally low blood sugar instead of spiking it high.  I believe there are downsides to excessive GH but my guess is it is harder to over do it lifting weights than by injection.  I am doubtful these pharmaceuticals are a better long term approach to longevity than what can be obtained through freely available natural means.