The myostatin inhibitor follistatin (from minicircle) may be how to maintain *both* muscle mass and bone mass, and you don't have to do *anything* for it

https://www.rapamycin.news/t/minicircle-this-biohacking-company-is-using-a-crypto-city-to-test-controversial-gene-therapies-mit-tech-rev/5647

Even reason@fightaging is taking it now. If you're risk-averse, you can wait for a few years while they collect more data.

It may be how to optimize for longevity EVEN when doing low-protein later in life (which *should* be optimal if it doesn't result in muscle/bone wasting)

Personally I care A LOT for my time and hate wasting time lifting, and this may very likely be my savior. 🙂

Edited by InquilineKea

Maybe I am too skeptical but having in mind already known about some very clever things invented by evolution I would say if there could be a simple solution for such complex thing like described it perhaps have to be invented by nature millions of years before.

But it is hard if at all possible to assess the probabilities of such things, so maybe I am totally wrong and a miracle is close to us))

Another guess came to mind - after the invention the game rules on the planet would have been changed like a forest fire - the species that adopted such a thing will eliminate everything faster than humans did with other big mammals, so it could be an event like Cambrian explosion but rather implosion and then maybe - another needle eye to pass due to decreased complexity of the complicated life forms.

But such kind of speculation is even less possible to verify somehow))

Br,

Igor

Edited by IgorF

13 hours ago, InquilineKea said:

https://www.rapamycin.news/t/minicircle-this-biohacking-company-is-using-a-crypto-city-to-test-controversial-gene-therapies-mit-tech-rev/5647

Even reason@fightaging is taking it now. If you're risk-averse, you can wait for a few years while they collect more data.

It may be how to optimize for longevity EVEN when doing low-protein later in life (which *should* be optimal if it doesn't result in muscle/bone wasting)

Personally I care A LOT for my time and hate wasting time lifting, and this may very likely be my savior. 🙂

I think it depends on your age. While it's not a "real" gene therapy altering your DNA permanently, anything from the gene itself to the delivery system and general off-target effects can be detrimental. So if you're 70 and have 15 years of life remaining, you're probably more willing to take the unknown risks.

Accordingly I would expect participants to be between, say, 65-85 years old. No one else would be so un-reasonable not to wait until we have at least some results on the short-term (months) outcome of the first experimental cohort 😉

Even some well researched drugs so far are kind of a question mark when it comes to mortality data - e.g. metformin or ezetimibe. And for those we at least have data on side effects in "normal" folks taking it for some years.

Being a pioneer without need on completely new forms of therapies is rather risky. Why not wait 1 or 2 years, if you're younger than 60?