Do the antioxidants in fruits/berries "cancel out" the increased glycation+inflammation caused by the sugar they have in them?

No, probably they are not correlated, fruit does have its health benefits, actually is one of the healthiest foods, but those benefits can be diminished by sugar intolerance or some unwanted effects of fructose, which can increase uric acid among other things. It is wrong to demonize fruit, but individual situations may dictate moderation.

The above comes from a formerly huge fan of fruit, former eater of ample amounts of it.

The antioxidants and active phytochemicals are often mainly contained in the skin apparently, so by eating only the skin, in theory the benefits could be reaped without the potential deleteriousness (which is related to individual situations and to quantity, actually).

The main benefit of fruit that I am aware of is that it can be eaten before or while exercising heavily, providing quick energy. It can constitute a whole portable meal which is very easily digested. 

8 hours ago, mccoy said:

It is wrong to demonize fruit, but individual situations may dictate moderation.

I agree.  I believe berries are healthier than refined sugar for their anti-oxidants and many other properties.  But as someone who has experienced significant health improvement after achieving good blood glucose numbers I think the idea that anti-oxidants are sufficient to counter the damage of elevated volatile blood glucose is ridiculous.   I regularly consume berries but with restraint to not exceed my blood glucose limits.  I expect there are a significant number of people who incorrectly assume they have no blood sugar issues and misjudge their personal health tradeoffs of fruit consumption.  

• InquilineKea changed the title to Do the antioxidants in fruits/berries "cancel out" the increased glycation+inflammation caused by the sugar they have in them?
  • 5 months later...

more on Lowbrush cranberry:

Low cranberries = high phenolics and antioxidants and anti-inflammatory activity compounds. Made worms live longer and rejuvenated their neurons. I suggest that you eat anything  in moderation. You can freeze and add cranberries to different dishes later on like smoothies, etc. Also, to clarify, lowbush cranberries that we studied were a different species than the lower 48 store-bought cranberries. They are subject to extreme weather conditions like short/long photoperiods, and temperature extremes, so generate a much more extensive array of compounds vs. regular store-bought cranberries (which still have their benefits)..

Edited by InquilineKea

4 hours ago, InquilineKea said:

They are subject to extreme weather conditions like short/long photoperiods, and temperature extremes, so generate a much more extensive array of compounds vs. regular store-bought cranberries (which still have their benefits)..

The above means that the advertised berries have a strong xenhormetic effect. Xenhormesis is still a hypothesis I believe, although a fascinating and reasonable one in my opinion.

Edited by mccoy