Do Blueberries Slow Aging?

Paul McGlothin

All.

Good to see you in the CR Society Forums! We need your help.Meredith and I are working on a research project to find which foods might slow aging -- independent of calories and nutrient density ( vitamins and minerals that is).

Here is one candidate:

Blueberry polyphenols increase lifespan and thermotolerance in Caenorhabditis elegans.

Aging Cell. 2006 Feb;5(1):59-68.

Wilson MA, Shukitt-Hale B, Kalt W, Ingram DK, Joseph JA, Wolkow CA.

Source

Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging, Intramural Research Program, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA.

Abstract

The beneficial effects of polyphenol compounds in fruits and vegetables are mainly extrapolated from in vitro studies or short-term dietary supplementation studies. Due to cost and duration, relatively little is known about whether dietary polyphenols are beneficial in whole animals, particularly with respect to aging. To address this question, we examined the effects of blueberry polyphenols on lifespan and aging of the nematode, Caenorhabditis elegans, a useful organism for such a study.

We report that a complex mixture of blueberry polyphenols increased lifespan and slowed aging-related declines in C. elegans. We also found that these benefits did not just reflect antioxidant activity in these compounds. For instance, blueberry treatment increased survival during acute heat stress, but was not protective against acute oxidative stress. The blueberry extract consists of three major fractions that all contain antioxidant activity. However, only one fraction, enriched in proanthocyanidin compounds, increased C. elegans lifespan and thermotolerance. To further determine how polyphenols prolonged C. elegans lifespan, we analyzed the genetic requirements for these effects. Prolonged lifespan from this treatment required the presence of a CaMKII pathway that mediates osmotic stress resistance, though not other pathways that affect stress resistance and longevity. In conclusion, polyphenolic compounds in blueberries had robust and reproducible benefits during aging that were separable from antioxidant effects.

PMID:16441844

What foods do you eat that you think might slow aging?

I hope you will come to theCR Mardi Gras and share your ideas in person, but in case you live too far away, here's your chance

Paul

Blueberries.pdf

Meredith and I are working on a research project to find which foods might slow aging -- independent of calories and nutrient density ( vitamins and minerals that is).

Here is one candidate:

Blueberry polyphenols increase lifespan and thermotolerance in Caenorhabditis elegans.

Aging Cell. 2006 Feb;5(1):59-68.

Wilson MA, Shukitt-Hale B, Kalt W, Ingram DK, Joseph JA, Wolkow CA.

PMID:16441844

What foods do you eat that you think might slow aging?

I doubt that any foods will slow aging in mammals, independent of calories. As to the study you cite: As I've noted before, flies, worms, and other nonmammalian species make very poor models of mammalian aging. C. elegans' mature bodies are composed entirely of cells that don't divide, so they don't develop cancer; they don't live long enough to accumulate mitochondrial DNA deletions, or several other key forms of molecular and cellular damage that contribute to aging in mammals; they almost always die of starvation due to failure of the muscles in their pharynx; and they have the capacity to enter dauer state, which likely confounds any data on extended fasting periods. I'd ignore anything in C. elegans, especially as it relates to dietary manipulation.

There is other evidence that blueberries do not retard aging in mice, and indeed, anyone who thinks back to one particualr presentation at the last CR Society Conference knows that a well-done lifespan study has been completed in mice, and showed no effect.

• 4 years later...

All.

Good to see you in the CR Society Forums! We need your help.Meredith and I are working on a research project to find which foods might slow aging -- independent of calories and nutrient density ( vitamins and minerals that is).

Here is one candidate:

Blueberry polyphenols...

Since you wrote this in 2012 (the year we were all supposed to die) what did you discover? Which foods do you think now (that we made it out of their calendar) slow aging?

Sthira,

Paul and Meredith McGlothin forked off from the CR Society a while back, and have their own CR-oriented group, called Living the CR Way. Unfortunately it's more of a "walled garden" than the CR Society :-(.

In a nutshell, Paul advocates a low-GI, mostly plant-based, CR diet along with copious exercise and eating within a limited time window each day and fasting for the remaining 17+ hours. He especially stresses very tight glucose control as an important contributor to health & longevity. I know he remains a strong advocate for blueberries as well. 

--Dean

Archived