Fat Guy Wants Help!

Definity

I recently saw the Horizons BBC documentary and luckily the computer was all fired up and I decided to search up cron and came across this and the Cron-O-Meter website, it is fantastic, I have been search for something like this for years!

A little about me, I'm 26 5.0ft and weight 115kg I try to do as much exersize as possible it is mainly weightlifting but I do try to do at least 10 mins of cardio when at the gym, I try to go to the gym as much as possible, it is normally at least 4 times a week. After seeing this I am interested to see what effects becoming a Cron would have on a body type like mine, an odd one!

How would I go about the cron diet? I have no idea where to start? do I eat a big bowl of frozen fruit and fruit peel in the morning?

My diet is pretty good but i do have times when i just pig out on crap which I know is bad, but is their anyway i can get some sort of plan or some basic guide to what i should eat to start becoming a cron.

Thanks for the help!

I recently saw the Horizons BBC documentary and luckily the computer was all fired up and I decided to search up cron and came across this and the Cron-O-Meter website, it is fantastic, I have been search for something like this for years!

A little about me, I'm 26 5.0ft and weight 115kg I try to do as much exersize as possible it is mainly weightlifting but I do try to do at least 10 mins of cardio when at the gym, I try to go to the gym as much as possible, it is normally at least 4 times a week. After seeing this I am interested to see what effects becoming a Cron would have on a body type like mine, an odd one!

How would I go about the cron diet? I have no idea where to start? do I eat a big bowl of frozen fruit and fruit peel in the morning?

My diet is pretty good but i do have times when i just pig out on crap which I know is bad, but is their anyway i can get some sort of plan or some basic guide to what i should eat to start becoming a cron.

Thanks for the help!

Hi Definity, It's great that you're starting to think about getting healthy. CRON (Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition) has 2 main rules: 1) Balance your diet so that you get all your nutrients and 2) reduce your calories. We kind of leave it up to each person to decide what they want to eat and how they want to come to a balance. Most people wind up with lots of vegetables and some fruits and nuts. Different people react in different ways, so we try not to prejudge too much about different styles of CR diet.

1) Go to your doctor and get some medical tests. These will give you a starting point to know where your current state of health is at.

2) Record your current diet for a couple of weeks using something like Cron-O-Meter so that you know where you are currently.

3) Swap one or two poor nutrition items in your diet out for something with better nutrition. Repeat until you have a super healthy diet. Change slowly. No need to hurry.

4) While improving your diet also change the amount of each food you eat in Cron-O-Meter so that you get as close as possible to 100% of vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids.

5) Now that you're eating healthy, we can start to reduce the quantity of food that you eat and restrict the calories. Only drop 50 - 100 calories each month. Once again no need to hurry. Allow your body to adjust.

6) Daily record your weight, blood pressure, resting heart rate, and maybe blood sugar if you think you might have some problems there.

7) Balance your fat intake so that you have 3-4 g of Omega-3 fatty acids and 12-15 g of Omega-6 fatty acids from your diet. Also limit saturated fats to 10 g per day. Make up the difference with monounsaturated fats like avocado. Nuts are good.

8) Exercise 3x per week, even if it's just walking.

9) Periodically do medical tests to track your progress. Also these will tell you if you are in CR, or just losing weight. People on CR have low blood pressure, lower body temperature, low inflammatory blood measures, low counts of immune system activity, lower cholesterol and triglycerides. When you have all these things showing up in the test results, your body is in "CR mode" and you'll loose much of your excess body fat and still have lots of energy for daily tasks and sporting events.

10) Stop reducing calories if you feel like you can't think properly, or have energy for daily living. A little hunger is good. Too much can be distracting. Also I recommend that once your BMI reaches 18.5 that should be a hard limit for people to stop losing body weight.

11) If you fall off the wagon one day, just climb back on the next day and resolve to eat according to your plan. Don't keep snack foods around. Plan your diet ahead of time including snacks and prepackage everything so that you don't have the opportunity to cheat.

There are several books that are listed in the CRSociety pages. http://www.crsociety...ources/cr_guide

Good luck and I wish you strong will power to get it done!

Keith

Thanks for the reply Keith! The only problem I have is I like to body build and as you know that requires quite a lot of whey, I read that to be a CRON I have to have small amounts of protein,is this true? would the CRON diet not work if I still have 100g of protein a day?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply Keith! The only problem I have is I like to body build and as you know that requires quite a lot of whey, I read that to be a CRON I have to have small amounts of protein,is this true? would the CRON diet not work if I still have 100g of protein a day?

Thanks.

from dr fontana

In addition, our data provide evidence that protein intake is a key determinant of circulating IGF-1 levels in humans, and suggest that reduced protein intake may become an important component of anticancer and anti-aging dietary interventions.

Anyway the evidence is that high protein intake cancels some of the gene expression activity that creates the healthy effects of CRON. By the way, you can get very ripped on a CRON diet, just not so big. I'd experiment with limiting the amount of whey and just take only as much as you need. Start low and go higher until you reach your goals.

Cheers,

Keith

Archived