Fish or no fish?

FusionHalo

Hey there. I've been eating a diet of mostly berries, tree nuts/seeds, legumes, and cruciferous vegetables. I've been supplementing for a long time now with algal oil (for DHA/EPA) and astaxanthin.

I wanted to know if anyone had opinions on eating about 4oz of wildcaught salmon each day? This would prevent me from needing to take the supplements, but I'd not longer be on a vegan diet. Considering this would mean cholesterol and more methionine in my diet, I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the cons.

post-5334-0-76357700-1336543899_thumb.jpg

As far as I can tell, 4 oz of wild salmon would mean about ~0.7g of MET and 62.4mg of cholesterol, both fairly modest amounts in the broader context of a generally healthy diet (so long as total daily cholesterol is below advised limits). Methionine *excess* may be worth worrying about, but salmon looks benign in this regard AFAIK.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally i think the methionine is not worth it, you can get your essential fatty acids without it. I thought low methionine diets were equal to CR therefore why not just keep methionine to the bare minimum?

Well assuming I ate 6oz of sockeye salmon every other day, I would be averaging 0.9g - 1.1g of methionine each day. That's the down side, even though its still about 1/3 average intake of American diet. The upside is I would be getting very large amounts of EPA and DHA, some extra calcium, calcitonin, and astaxanthin (which can't really be found anywhere else in nature except supplements). So do the pros outweigh the cons to justify any amount of salmon, and if so, how much?

Probably in the grand scheme of things the decision will make no difference, the influence of your genes will likely be greater than any difference made by either decision. So maybe go for which ones makes you feel happier and gives you greater quality of life. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived