CR Science has made progress, but must move forward rapidly!

Calorie restriction has changed! Eleven years ago, we were in the dark ages. People knew little about how Calorie restriction works and the CR world was dominated by demagogues who tried to shove piecemeal research down the throats of new CR members or anyone else gullible enough to listen.

So we rolled up our sleeves and went to work. Money needed to be raised and CR research was desperately needed on humans.Now, 12 years later, science has prevailed. We know that human CR follows the same biological patterns of CR’ed animals. And though we will always be deluged with disinformation, we have many human CR studies that provide a road map for how to practice calorie restriction. Take a look at what we have accomplished and what is planned.

Don’t think for a minute we are resting on our laurels. For many of us feel strongly that opportunities to slow aging and improve health span are greater than ever before. We must act on that now!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I hear you. There are many things to do for CR and one of the most important aspects of it all would be research.

It is quite hard to find life-long study participants who will obey the strict CR diets, where for research is hard to conduct in a large scale. One key is to find an easily accessible data-base, or study-group.

This website and this form might well be a powerful tool. I am my self an on-going CR-practitioner, and would hate to see all my data go to waste. What if we use this form to find study-participants who are already following the diet, and make it accessable for researchers outside. There are so many of us here that our data cannot be neglected.

What do you think? Is there any easy way to use the members of CR society for their own science by somehow providing them to researchers around the planet?

I would myself be happy to be involved in many experiments, or log my eating habits. And I am sure I am not the only one.

I hear you. There are many things to do for CR and one of the most important aspects of it all would be research.

It is quite hard to find life-long study participants who will obey the strict CR diets, where for research is hard to conduct in a large scale. One key is to find an easily accessible data-base, or study-group.

This website and this form might well be a powerful tool. I am my self an on-going CR-practitioner, and would hate to see all my data go to waste. What if we use this form to find study-participants who are already following the diet, and make it accessible for researchers outside. There are so many of us here that our data cannot be neglected.

What do you think? Is there any easy way to use the members of CR society for their own science by somehow providing them to researchers around the planet?

I would myself be happy to be involved in many experiments, or log my eating habits. And I am sure I am not the only one.

It is good to hear from you, Namalev. The number of long-term study participants in CR Studies grows thanks to fundraising efforts by Meredith and me and generous donations by many here.

We need to raise about 10 million dollars set aside in a foundation to have enough money annually to fund CR Research that is on the cusp of significant breakthroughs. This needs to be done in laboratories under well controlled conditions. We need to look at what is happening in peoples' cells -- what helps them withstand structural decline over time and what can rejuvenate tissue. This is not science fiction. People on living the CR Way.com. have heard me talk about this a lot and others will too in the coming months. We must move forward with the opportunities at hand to avoid being in the last generation of people who are doomed to end their life dying as we know it.

Sure it is interesting to share data, but the above explains more about why we need solid researchers with great minds helping us move forward accurately and fast.

Here is more about what we are thinking about:

Scroll to the Spindler/Dhahbi work

Thank you for entering this discussion.

Paul

• 3 years later...

We need to raise about 10 million dollars set aside in a foundation to have enough money annually to fund CR Research that is on the cusp of significant breakthroughs. This needs to be done in laboratories under well controlled conditions. We need to look at what is happening in peoples' cells -- what helps them withstand structural decline over time and what can rejuvenate tissue. This is not science fiction. People on living the CR Way.com. have heard me talk about this a lot and others will too in the coming months. We must move forward with the opportunities at hand to avoid being in the last generation of people who are doomed to end their life dying as we know it.

So what happened? Did "...we move forward ... to avoid being in the last generation to be doomed to end their life dying as we know it"? Or, four years later, do we still not know much of anything new?

Saul,

Hi Paul! - Nice hearing from you on the Forums! 

That's Sthira responding to a 2012 post by Paul McGlothin. Paul hasn't posted to the CR forums in over 2 years. :-(

Sthira,

So what happened [Paul]? Did "...we move forward ... to avoid being in the last generation to be doomed to end their life dying as we know it"? Or, four years later, do we still not know much of anything new?

As I explained in the other thread where you addressed him, Paul (and Meredith) have started their own CR group, LivingtheCRWay. To their great credit - they are continuing to raise funds and collaborate with researchers to investigate the health & longevity benefits of CR in humans. I'm participating as part of their group in one such study.

I could be wrong, but sense a touch of bitterness in your post - perhaps challenging Paul on the apparent lack progress. But honestly, I wish the leadership of the CR Society would energetically engage in promoting research collaborations between its members and the scientific community the way Paul and Meredith do...

--Dean

Brain,

Dean, stay tuned. Michael or I should have some news soon.

More secrecy and delay. Sigh... Come on, we're dyin' out here. Think of the frustration that Sthira's been expressing lately, and the pain Zeta has been going through. We need to get a move on with new research before it's too late for all of us in the 'old guard' of human CR.

--Dean

Brain,

Dean, stay tuned. Michael or I should have some news soon.

More secrecy and delay. Sigh... Come on, we're dyin' out here. Think of the frustration that Sthira's been expressing lately, and the pain Zeta has been going through. We need to get a move on with new research before it's too late for all of us in the 'old guard' of human CR.

--Dean

I am eager to hear news too! :-)

More secrecy

Not really. Certainly not from the CR Society.

... and delay.

Sort of, but setting up quality studies takes time. I'll let Michael share whatever he feels can be shared, when he's ready. (He's exceptionally busy, so I don't want to make more demands on his time.)

Come on, we're dyin' out here.

I know, believe me!

Best,

Brian

Archived