?Subtract exercise calories?

bobbuckley

Hi, folks,

I've been using cron-o-meter for a little over six months, and I have a question for experienced CRON folks.

In calculating your total calorie intake for the day, do you or do you not count the negative calories

produced by exercise?

For instance, if you want to keep daily calories to 1400, and your daily recorded exercise has burned 600 calories,

do you replace the 600 calories by eating more - leading to a total daily intake of 2000 calories - or do you just stick with

the total intake of 1400 calories and pat yourself on the back for the exercise?

Bob

Thanks, Bob.
To be clear, many others have been at this for 10 years or (much) more, dating back to Walford's first publications in the late '80s.

One bit of advice; I've learned that consistency over the long-term is easier than intense (but brief) struggles to be as "CR'ed" as possible. My hunch is that there is an extremely high rate of drop-out for CR. There are names in the archives that have disappeared over the years. Remember, you're going to want to stick with this for the rest of your life to get the most out of it.
I'm betting that a little CR (and good, vegetable-rich diet) goes a long way.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly, many CR folks who have dropped off the list are still practicing CR. It seems to me that folks use our support until they are able to stand alone and get back to their regular evening activities instead of spending hours reading the CR email lists and forums. I contacted several many years ago who were once active posters to the email lists wondering if they gave up CR. They had not. Some take time off from the lists and return after a period. Saul Lubkin and Dean Pomerleau are examples.

Surprisingly, many CR folks who have dropped off the list are still practicing CR. It seems to me that folks use our support until they are able to stand alone and get back to their regular evening activities instead of spending hours reading the CR email lists and forums. I contacted several many years ago who were once active posters to the email lists wondering if they gave up CR. They had not. Some take time off from the lists and return after a period. Saul Lubkin and Dean Pomerleau are examples.

Hi Bob!

I'm not sure what made you think that I'm not a (reasonably) active poster: I just don't post when someone else does a good job answering a query; I figure "no need". I've actually posted several times recently,

in both the lists and the forums. (I'll be posting my most recent -- early June -- blood work soon.)

I can't speak for Dean, but I know that he'd been a lurking when he wasn't posting (he said so in a response to a general note someone placed in the CR List. :) ).

Michael Sherman is a different question -- as I recall, his wife made him either quit, or greatly reduce, his CR, to sace his marriage. He's probably still reading the main List -- but I doubt that he gets

the new Forums. (But I could be wrong).

-- Saul

--

Wasn't thinking of the more well-known people (ie; people who've come to conferences), was thinking of posters that show up out of nowhere, are highly active for a few months to a year, and then vanish. I have a strong hunch that many of these are people who got excited about CR but didn't stick with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dean Pomerleau

Saul wrote:

> I can't speak for Dean, but I know that he'd been a lurking when he wasn't posting (he said so

> in a response to a general note someone placed in the CR List. :) ).

Saul is right. Rumors of my falling off the CR wagon have been greatly exaggerated :-). I'm still practicing, and with more free time on my hands, have once again started monitoring the CR information exchanges.

God to be back!

--Dean

Archived