New to CR society, however have lived under similar regimine for a while

lreinach1

Hello!

I am curious if anyone can tell me what vitamins are recommended to be taken as a CR practicer.

Thank you.

The standard advice is to get as much as possible through your diet, then supplement the rest up to RDA. Some vitamins compete for receptors in the body, so a multivitamin is not a good idea. A B12 vitamin should probably be recommended for vegans and vegetarians and others should carefully analyze to see it they are getting enough through their diet.

The standard advice is to get as much as possible through your diet, then supplement the rest up to RDA.

Indeed. And to determine what you're getting from your diet, it is absolutely critical to CR to use nutrition software (such as CRON-O-Meter) to track your Calorie intake and your intake of essential nutrients. Where possible, you should supplement this information with recognized, validated functional tests for nutrition status (25(OH)D3 for vitamin D; Hcy and MMA for B12; ferritin for Fe; a few others -- simple blood levels of nutrients are almost meaningless for functional status, although urinary Na, K, I are useful.

You can almost be guaranteed to need a vitamin D supplement, unless you've been acting like a Damned Fool and spending a lot of time out in the sun without protection.

Archived