How young is too young to start CR?

Guest David

Hey ladies & gents,

I'm a 20 year old college student and after stumbling upon this website and checking out a couple books I believe I'd like to give the calorie restricted life style a try.

I'd like to know if 20 is too young an age to begin a cr trial? I'd be getting the proper blood work and everything to accompany the life stye change and make sure everything is going smoothly.

- David

Hey ladies & gents,

I'm a 20 year old college student and after stumbling upon this website and checking out a couple books I believe I'd like to give the calorie restricted life style a try.

I'd like to know if 20 is too young an age to begin a cr trial? I'd be getting the proper blood work and everything to accompany the life stye change and make sure everything is going smoothly.

- David

http://www.hhs.gov/opa/familylife/tech_assistance/etraining/adolescent_brain/Development/prefrontal_cortex/

This agrees with some of the other web sites I've found that suggest that brain development isn't complete until around age 25. Other estimates put it as low as 20 or 21 years. Some CR followers start at an early age of around 18 - 20, but I think that many older members would suggest caution. The caution is suggested because people worry that brain development may not complete properly if sufficient calories aren't available. At the same time, there's probably no proof that CR interferes with brain development in humans -- so it's just being cautious. In the meanwhile, you could implement a healthy, balanced and documented diet until you feel that your brain has finished developing. That way you wouldn't be developing atherosclerosis for reversal later.

Another advantage of eating an adlib diet is that your 20's are a very social decade of life and it's good to not put yourself at a disadvantage. Many social gatherings have food and beverage consumption as a central theme and you may find these occasions difficult. Also attracting a mate for life could be difficult if you become too thin. Personality should dominate over physical characteristics for most guys, but ymmv. After you have a mate and potentially a family, CRON becomes a more attractive option.

Cheers,

Keith

Archived