How much water too drink

Guest amy100

Guest amy100

I was wondering how much water is healthy and safe to drink various how much is too much.  What is optimal fluid and water consumption? Does anyone have any idea of what is best for health and a long life.

Hi Amy. First, I've seen you post quite a bit here, and I encourage you to register an account to continue posting, rather than using a guest account.

There is no evidence-based recommendation for a specific daily water intake. This is because each person's needs vary based on environment, activity levels, and dietary choices. Your fluid needs may increase if you sweat more or consume less from foods. Fruits and vegetables have a high water content, and you may get a substantial water intake from these foods. Recommendations often focus on urine color to determine the concentration of urine, in which case lightly straw colored urine is a good target.

You can drink too little water, in which case you may become dehydrated, but it would take a pretty low intake. If your urine is consistently dark and you show clinical signs of dehydration then you should increase your fluid intake. It's difficult to over-consume water, provided you don't chug a lot all at once, as your body will simply adapt and excrete more water to maintain a proper tissue fluid balance. You may prefer to drink more water than is necessary to fill your stomach or because you enjoy it, but it isn't strictly necessary for physiological needs.

James, Thanks. I have been doing research on how much to drink for some time. I recently have cut back on water, previously I was drinking a gallon or two of fluids including water and diet soda. I have cut back on both. But Ben Kim I don't know if you ever visited his sight he a doctor and has some interesting points. He believes that soda is hard on your Kidney's blood vessels and heart long term and recommends only drinking when thirsty. I do agree it is hard to get water intoxication but the long term effects of drinking much more water than you need are unknown whether or not you will end up on early Kidney dialysis or not, with that fear I also know I have read some books on fasting many who go on water only fast will consume over 20 glasses of water, those who do juice and water would have about 6 glasses of juice and 20 glasses of water and some people they learned from would live well into their 90's with no Kidney problems.

Another thing is no real significant benefits are shown with 8 glasses of pure water a day, but 5 glasses of pure water a day show  a lot of benefits, such as reduced cancer risk and heart health in various studies that have been shown.

I would assume about 64 ounces is of total fluids is all about one wants a day and at least 5 of those should be glasses of pure water.  But if you go over it some days it Is not a big deal water intoxication is hard to reach, but over time consuming much more water than you need can really wear and tear on one's body.

This is like an obsession or me with water consumption however I just need to make up my mind I keep researching. of coarse it is clear the average healthy kidney's can process 15 liters of water a day, but over time overconsumption of water might wear on your Kidney's blood vessel and heart.

That is my take on it at least. But many days I am honestly thirsty for more than 64 ounces but I still think I will try to average 64 ounces and than drink unto my thirst from that time after.  Just to error on the safe side.  But than overall if your going to have a vice water is not the worst one to have is also my take on it.

Amy

James, actually I think I won't worry to much about water whether it's drinking bit less than needed or drinking more than needed even if it is a gallon or so a slightly over it should not be a big deal even long term, many pro-long fasters use to drink a lot of water and faired fine.  I think not worrying about water will free me up to focus on more important things with my diet.

Amy

Archived