CRON vitamin and mineral levels

Tom E

Hi all,

I've been tracking micronutrient intake and hitting over 100% for all vitamin and mineral levels. However, copper and iron are quite high (over 300%), as well as copper to zinc ratio almost 2:1. Has anyone optimized these micronutrients to be closer to 100% RDA rather than 3x RDA? Diet is mostly vegan, lot of nuts, seeds, legumes which is where the higher copper and iron levels are coming from.

Hi Tom,

First, this appears to be your first post: welcome.

Yeah, I have the same problem with copper. I've had no real success lowering it, and I do think this is an issue — see my thread on supplementation for vegetarians/vegans. I use the quite imperfect solution of supplementing a full RDA of zinc (as picolinate, which appears to be superior tho' it's not clear; citrate may also be a very good choice).

I also get close to 3x RDA of iron, but I don't worry about that too much: it's all 'vegan' iron, its bioavailability is low, and I get blood tests to ensure that my iron stores are low-normal. The latter is the main thing (which everyone should be doing anyway): get tested annually for (at least) ferritin, and at least once and occasionally thereafter do Transferrin and Iron-binding Capacity (TIBC, UIBC), to make sure your iron stores are low-normal. (If you've been genetically tested, you may know about Wilson's disease and hemochromatosis, respectively).