Is (a)symmetry in stem cell divisions changed with aging? Is it important for maintaining stemness/longevity?

Aged apolar HSCs undergo preferentially self-renewing symmetric divisions, resulting in daughter stem cells with reduced regenerative capacity and lymphoid potential, while young polar HSCs undergo preferentially asymmetric divisions.Sep 20, 2018

====

Denis Odinokov

star_filled_24_fds-gray-70.pngFavorites  ·   ·

Hypothesis: individuals with symmetrical kinetochores in both maternal and paternal chromatids may experience longer lifespans due to a slower rate of stem cell pool exhaustion, which is caused by fewer chromosomal abnormalities during cell division.

Comments

•  

·

Cool

•  
  •  
Denis Odinokov
Andrei Beloveshkin я сам до сих пор в шоке ))

•  
      • See translation

•  
Lev Yampolsky
please clarify. What are symmetrical kinetochores? And what are maternal and paternal chromosome _pairs_?

•  
  •  
Denis Odinokov
Lev Yampolsky yep, the word pairs is redundant, thanks

•  
  •  
Denis Odinokov
Lev Yampolsky let me paraphrase the hypothesis. The locations of kinetochores on maternal and paternal chromosomes may not be symmetrical, which could lead to distortion during cell division, thereby increasing the likelihood of chromosomal abnormalities. These abnormalities may subsequently lead to apoptosis. This hypothesis was inspired by unpunished data on the origin of Down syndrome.

•  
  •  
Lev Yampolsky
during mitosis maternal and paternal chromosomes are handled completely independently, why would different location of kinetochores matter?

•  
    • Edited
  •  
Lev Yampolsky
of course the story about origin of Down syndrome is different, as most of non-disjunctions leading to trisomies occur in meiosis.

•  
  •  
Denis Odinokov
Lev Yampolsky Down syndrome can result not only from meiotic but also from mitotic catastrophes, and in rare cases, it can even be rescued by the placenta, which results in a healthy fetus and trisomic placenta.

•  
    • Edited
  •  
Denis Odinokov
Lev Yampolsky thank you for helping me think through it

•  
  •  
Lev Yampolsky
does not answer my skepticism - depletion of stem cells obviously occurs through errors in mitosis; what role differences between paternal and maternal chromosomes can play in that?

•  
  •  
Transient defects of mitotic spindle geometry and chromosome segregation errors
NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV
  •  

•  
Cosmo Mielke
I found an important gene in Horvath's original clock that regulates kinetichors.... I need to finish that analysis

•  
  •  
Denis Odinokov
Cosmo Mielke My hypothesis is that asymmetrical kinetochores of chromatids lead to premature stem cell pool exhaustion. To validate it, I need access to PacBio haplotype-phased long-read data of centromeres, which captures methylation marks. The region exhibiting low methylation is likely to be a kinetochore.

•  
  •  
Cosmo Mielke
Denis Odinokov is there a mechanistic tie between kinetichor asymmetry and centriole number?

•  
  •  
Denis Odinokov
Cosmo Mielke it's a very good question! There could be some linkage as both phenomena are presumably involved in the missegregation of chromosomes and aneuploidy.

•  

•  
Yi Peke
По этой гипотезе - инбридинг может иной раз и увеличивать ПЖ.

•  
  • See translation
  •  
Denis Odinokov
Yi Peke к сожалению, гомозиготы менее жизнеспособны, чтобы инбридинг сработал для увеличения ПЖ

•  
      • See translation
      • Edited

•  
Alex K. Chen
Isn't asymmetric cell division important for preserving stemness?

•  
  •  
Denis Odinokov
Alex K. Chen slightly asymmetric kinetochores should not affect stem cell division per se yet hypothetically might increase the likelihood of chromosomal abnormalities. BTW, I wonder if stem cell aging is driven by kinetochore asymmetry - about 90 percent of age-related aneuploidies are explained by weakened centromere cohesion.

•  
  • Edited
Edited by InquilineKea

• Alex K Chen changed the title to Is (a)symmetry in stem cell divisions changed with aging? Is it important for maintaining stemness/longevity?