Low BMI, is CR safe for me?

Guest Stephen Whatley

Guest Stephen Whatley

I am a 25 year old male, 5ft 9in tall, 125lbs. Regardless of what i eat, for my entire adult life i have stayed at roughly 125lbs. I would like to take advantage of the health benefits of caloric restriction but I am having trouble figuring out the maximum CR percentage I can do. Before I even found out about the CR diet, I was only eating 1-2 meals a day and doing just fine. I work in a creative profession, so inspiration blocks out any urge to eat throughout the day. So i feel like the CR calculator that I have used, maybe does not calculate well for someone with a body type like mine. I'm looking for advice on how much CR is safe for someone who already has lived unknowingly on a staggered CR diet already. Should i take more time to measure the calorie intake on my current diet before i start guessing at a place to start a healthy CR regime?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there Stephen. I've been on CR for 2 going on 3 years now. Despite having such a sharp decrease in calories (I average 1700-1800 a day now), I've actually gained weight for the first time in my life. I think the gain in weight may be due to exercise. I weight lift at a local gym for 20 minutes a day about 5 days a week. I was 115 lbs since highschool, now at the age of 23 being 5 feet 8 inches, I fluctuate between 120-125. I have excellent biomarkers and always feel great, so as long as you balance your diet and get all of your nutrition, CR seems fine for those of us with low BMI.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shane

I am a 25 year old male, 5ft 9in tall, 125lbs. Regardless of what i eat, for my entire adult life i have stayed at roughly 125lbs. I would like to take advantage of the health benefits of caloric restriction but I am having trouble figuring out the maximum CR percentage I can do. Before I even found out about the CR diet, I was only eating 1-2 meals a day and doing just fine. I work in a creative profession, so inspiration blocks out any urge to eat throughout the day. So i feel like the CR calculator that I have used, maybe does not calculate well for someone with a body type like mine. I'm looking for advice on how much CR is safe for someone who already has lived unknowingly on a staggered CR diet already. Should i take more time to measure the calorie intake on my current diet before i start guessing at a place to start a healthy CR regime?

In Dr. Walford's 120 Year Diet Book he recommends that men do not go below 5% body fat. In Lisa Walford's book she indicates health problems associated with a BMI below 14-15.

Archived