Where can I find what amino acids contents different foods have?

Lucius

I need a trustworthy source where I can look up amino acid contents of foods. Is Cronometer trustworthy? Just googling something like "fava beans amino acid content" isn't usually very helpful, and I don't want to be getting my numbers from 20 differents websites at once for 20 different foods, that would skew them like crazy. Any ideas?

Cronometer draws its data from various databases, it's reliable as far as those databases are reliable. I use it as a reference.

Anyhow, the values always exhibit a high degree of uncertainty. Always, unless you have a personal lab and measure AAs content of every food item you eat, and even then the content would vary with time and you could not avoid measurement errors. That's why the RDAs are cautious values, 97.5% of the probability function of the minimum requirement.

Bottom line, for your purpose (I believe AAs restriction=moderation) you can use cronometer, weigh accurately proteic foods, choose accurately the food which describes better your item, and absolutely not go below cronometer's RDAs

I guess I'll have to always check what database I am pulling the data from when using Cronometer, although my diet won't be changing on a day to day basis so I can just do it once for my OMAD and be done with it. Btw I haven't seen any other nutrition tracking app besides Cronometer mentioned on these forums, is there any specific reason for that?

• 2 weeks later...

I started with cronometer and do not know the others. Cronometer is probably the best. One way to improve the data is to edit foods from the software database to include changes which are more specific. For example, labels (which are not always very accurate and only rarely include AAs), local databases, publications and so on. It takes some work but it can be done for the foods which govern the regimen (protein foods in your case). 

• 2 weeks later...