Preparing coffee while minimizing *both* plastics load and time? (also, coffee load =>dementia risk?) [also healthfulness of coffee thread]

• Alex K Chen changed the title to Preparing coffee while minimizing *both* plastics load and time? (also, coffee load =>dementia risk?)

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnagi.2021.744872/full

Also trying to figure out coffee load vs alzheimer's risk: I know the lowest risk is with moderate amounts of ground coffee consumption.. I don't drink coffee every week, but when I do get access to coffee, I drink A LOT of it.

Coffee subtypes and associations with incident arrhythmia, CVD, and mortality. Caffeinated (ground/instant) but not decaffeinated coffee reduced the risk of arrhythmia. Both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee reduced incident CVD and all-cause and cardiovascular mortality risks. CI, confidence interval; CVD, cardiovascular disease; HR, hazard ratio.

====

ALSO, cold brew coffee [easier with fine ground], Turkish coffee (via moka pot), *and* armenian coffee. There are so many alternative ways that don't use the dumb american plastic coffee maker.

The percolator takes up a lot of space that one can use for a simple french press (tho french press requires coarser ground coffee) [the secura french press is all-metal] and most coffee beans are in the form of super-fine or whole ground beans and I'd prefer not to buy a coffee grinder..

just found out that light-roast robusta has the most antioxidants and chlorogenic acid and is probably *the* healthiest other than green coffee, but it's not easy to find..

like here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Kaffa-Coffee-Light-Ground-Robusta/dp/B09ZHXGX1Z/ref=sr_1_5?crid=Y6BQG48FY5RX&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.zNcg8vLO-em7qXG87Rb8EdAEKvGitg-T9FR0hMiA7dm7yKRb3JAC4aXnoNAQVvoZGA0QZtkgz4H3kRgn9rxDLe4tiEoV-xVUJs9SrBvb-PljP097j9TjA7Ibra4NjvesGuWjpcbyjk9sgkkbnodRISUe6WMqzn68C2e0en15CPK0tLA-xfb--3Y7CYQwIHmGhRcRvWJBDcELWMITMQkNSm5lg4OawhH1RJoh_MIGswaeli_YuZ0gpgiX4uhHCdhgePtPM5PwwmuE9lvnSWnkRas3aQksYt0hlDINhY8vAgk.trjmC5qsUp7UDP3YL2Use6USHjxwwrUJ7qEepfDx56U&dib_tag=se&keywords=light+roast+robusta+coffee&qid=1710317495&sprefix=light+roast+robusta+coffee%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-5

...then there's organic vs non-organic... pesticides are often sprayed on them, it's still unclear if roasting destroys the pesticides..

Green coffee beans contain large amounts of polyphenolic antioxidants, such as chlorogenic, caffeic, ferulic, and n-coumarinic acids. Coffee roasting significantly alters the composition of polyphenols due to Maillard reaction (chemical reaction between amino acids and sugars).
A cup of coffee which contains 10 g of roasted coffee beans may have 15 to 325 mg of chlorogenic acids. On average in America, one cup contains approximately 200 mg of chlorogenic acid. Antioxidant activity of ferulic and caffeic acids was studied both in vitro and in vivo. Ferulic acid presented in coffee has anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, antibacterial, antiplatelet, and antiviral effect [34]. Pharmacological properties of ferulic acid are related to its high antioxidant activity, in particular, its ability to inhibit lipid peroxidation in biological membranes.
Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

THIS IS IT

also green coffee (more chlorogenic acid)

==

ALSO, cold brew coffee, Turkish coffee (via moka pot), *and* armenian coffee. There are so many alternative ways that don't use the dumb american plastic coffee maker

I didnt notice but my home has a

Edited by InquilineKea

Percolating machines are very rare here in Italy, probably non-existing barring some American companies operating overseas.

Recently I have been watching many videos on the preparation of specialty coffees, traditional methods are percolation with glass or ceramic funnels, paper filter and a glass jar below. No plastic at all. the water is boiled in a steel carafe.

The Aeropress involves thermo resistant plastic material which allegedly does not release plastic material into the liquid. The Clever dripper is also plastic material but resistant to high temperatures. The French press is glass and metal.

I used to have espresso by plastic pods, but they are obviously pretty polluting. I have now an espresso grain to cup machine, probably without much polluting material.

Finally, I have ordered a Hario switch, a glass funnel with a steel valve, which I'll use to infuse and percolate coffee into a glass container below, so there will be no plastic at all along the way.

Percolation with a paper filter will probably block most diterpenes, but they are anti-cancer compounds, although seem to elevate cholesterol.

I'm probably going to block diterpenes sometimes (Hario switch with filter), and allow them in the coffee other times (espresso machine).

• Alex K Chen changed the title to Preparing coffee while minimizing *both* plastics load and time? (also, coffee load =>dementia risk?) [also healthfulness of coffee thread]