What percent of calories from plant proteins/amino acids are actually absorbed? (PDCAAS)

Like it means YAY I can eat more soybeans and beans. But beans have recently been killing me when I ate too many [mostly through inducing sleepiness maybe from the carbs]

But what is the bioavailability of plant proteins from tofu relative to soybeans?

Edited by InquilineKea

• Alex K Chen changed the title to What percent of calories from plant proteins/amino acids are actually absorbed? (PDCAAS)

I read the Reddit thread but the OP there seems to carry some bias. 

I think the DIAAS is a more recent concept with respect to PDCAAS, probably also more refined.

There has been a discussion on it. Some vegetable proteins, like soy protein, have a DIASS of 100, which means good bioavailability (completeness of EAAS) and ileal digestibility. Roasted pistachios also have a good DIAAS. Research is still at the early stages. Digestibility has been tested in pigs and not rats, which makes the research more meaningful to humans.

Edited by mccoy

From the posted thread, I quote myself:

It is interesting to observe that soy protein seems to have a 100% DIAAS, similar to some animal protein. In a few words, if eating 0.66 g/kg/d (the average value for daily protein requirement) soy protein, on average we'll  sufficient absorption of all EAAS.

In my case, with a present bodyweight of 148 pounds = 67 kg, my EAAs needs would probably (on average) be satisfied with 44 grams of soy protein (or whatever other protein with 100% DIAAS).

That's how much protein is contained in about 1150 grams of soymilk, or 330 grams extra firm tofu (source: cronometer app). This is a good argument for a vegan diet; EAAs requirements are satisfied by soy products and mixtures of soy and other cereal protein (with soy prevalent over the cereals).

I remember that during my vegan stint I was able to gain some muscle mass by drinking soymilk and using soy protein and mixtures of cereal protein (often soymilk blended to pea or soy protein).