Overdosing on Vitamins

FrederickSebastian

Hi,

I took a nutrition class in college once and (I believe) the teacher had said that you can overdose on fat-soluble vitamins (A,D,E and K) but cannot overdose on water-soluble vitamins (everything else)... I did some research online and found that Iron, A, E, and B-vitamins should not be taken above a certain amount... (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401380/Can-You-Overdose-on-Vitamin-and-Mineral-Supplements.html)... Is it possible to overdose on water-soluble vitamins and does it help to taken them in high amounts?... A friend of mine told me about a study where a person was given ridiculously high amounts of vitamin C and it helped with his depression... I'm just wondering if high amounts of any other vitamin could be good for you or help with any other conditions...

Let me know,

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

If you following Cr with optimal nutrition by using a programme like cron-o-meter you should probably need very few supplements, chron-o-meter will identify any deficiencies for you. My choice would then be to try and reduce the deficiency by looking up foods which contain the  vitamin or mineral i am not achieving an optimal level of,  or Rda .

You can then choose to supplement accordingly if still necessary.

Supplements are not without side effects and some interact with main stream medications.  

There are some conditions whereby larger doses are used as preventative measures , like the B vitamins with cognition issues, or niacin as a cholesterol lowering agent. but imho lower doses if needed are best.  Many brands have huge mega doses which may be un neccessary..............................

Archived