Formatting problems in editing posts

Greg Scott

I compose a post in an external editor (not a component of the browser), then submit it to the forum software.

After selecting "Preview Post", I often get a surprise at how it looks. In checking the composition area of the forum webpage, I see that the forum software has inserted markup that was not in my editor. This happens routinely with LIST tags and QUOTE tags.

Is there any way to prevent the composition software from guessing what I intend and inserting its own markup?

Greg,

Perhaps others have better advice, but I find that even composing inside the forum editor the formatting gets mucked up sometimes when I post a message. For example, almost without fail extra newlines get added at the beginning of quotes. Its just something I've come to live with. I end up going back and editing every post I make to fix things like this.

But you might experiment with the two icons highlighted in red below before you paste into the composition window. They might disable the format "guessing" you refer to. The "paste as plain text" option (under the icon on the right highlighted in green below) might also be helpful.

Please let us know if any of this helps.

--Dean

yPNLhFQ.png

But you might experiment with the two icons highlighted in red below before you paste into the composition window. They might disable the format "guessing" you refer to. The "paste as plain text" option (under the icon on the right highlighted in green below) might also be helpful.

Please let us know if any of this helps.

Dean,

It might be premature to report after making only one long post, since that one post did not have much markup in it (such as LIST items).

But I think your suggestion has merit.

I did not see a proliferation of markup generated by the forum software. So it appears that the beast has been tamed.

Tim chose a great forum software package for us, in my view. (Thanks, Tim!) I would say the questions raised about it -- here and elsewhere -- can probably all be answered or obviated with a quick read through of the help pages. (See "Help" at the very bottom.)

Archived