Carb/fiber ratio

I have been thinking about the ratio of carbs to fiber and always considered it to be an important element to consider. I am wondering if others on this list consider this when using software to design their diets. After seeing a video on nutrition facts.org recommending a ratio of 5/1 I checked my diet on cron o meter and found that my ratio was slightly better than 5/1 at 4.78.

I think it is probably a very important component considering that many of us are eating a lot of carbs and the importance of post meal glucose control.

Mike,

I've never thought about the carb/fiber ratio, but CRON-O-Meter tells me that my ratio is 4.39.

I think it is probably a very important component considering that many of us are eating a lot of carbs and the importance of post meal glucose control

Perhaps it's important, but conceivably not in the way you think. If Speakman and other proponents of the "Hunger Hypothesis" are to be taken seriously, too much satiating fiber may undermine the effectiveness of CR. I personally don't buy their argument, but my prejudice against it may be more a matter of not wanting it to be true, rather than a result of strong evidence against it. See this post from yesterday for discussion.

--Dean

Guest mike colella

I was not "thinking" of it from a Calorie restriction perspective . I was thinking in terms of glucose metabolism and general health and Longevity perspective. In fact the hunger aspect would be a plus, a big one actually because of QOL improvement. 

Archived