poisoning the neighborhood children next Monday

Todd Allen

My wife went out this morning to do some shopping and asked what she should get to pass out on Halloween.  I suggested she try to find some convenience packs of sunflower seeds, mixed nuts or dried fruit like one might throw in a lunch bag, anything different from the typical Mars and Hershey branded crap we've been giving away for years.

Unfortunately the crap was on sale and better options were several times more expensive per unit and my wife rationalized the kids like the crap better and might not appreciate or even eat something that was actually good...   I've long had a somewhat cynical view of some of our most popular holidays such as Christmas, the 4th of July, Thanksgiving and even Memorial day so I guess now feeling like the Grinch that wanted to steal Halloween should come as no surprise.

Thanks, I feel this way, too. It seems a pity that healthy foods aren't less expensive than junk, but this is where we find ourselves. I give out citrus for Halloween, for what it's worth. I also give fruit to homeless street people when they ask me for dollars.

Archived