CR in cover article: Discover magazine, Oct 2018

KHashmi317

1292570627_discover-october-2018-1-copy.

The article is not online yet, but you can download the full-length TruPDF Discover oct 2018 mag here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/q6am6a9kj7on4bb/2018-10-01_Discover.pdf/file

Of all the major USA pop-sci rags, Discover has, perhaps, been the kindest and most supportive of CR. Back in 2000, some of you may recall  Discover's Roy Walford feature (web article is missing the several photos of RW in his Venice, CA home).

Discover is revisiting CR again, with (I must admit) a decent synthesis of CR in 2018. 

From the latest article, something new to me was a before/after image of RW (the b/w image in the new Discover article  is actually from a 2002 Journal of Gerontology paper about CR in Bio 2).

dr-walford-png.22706

The b/w (above) shows senior author  [of 2002 paper] (R. Walford) after 15 months residence inside Biosphere 2 (on the left: weight 119 lb or 54 kg), and 18 months after exiting Biosphere 2 (on the right: weight 150 lb, or 68 kg; normal weight when on an ad libitum diet)

150 lbs -- in my book -- is not "CR", esp. for his avg. height. So, RW did weight cycle a bit. Yup ... CR is difficult to maintain in the long term ... and the new article alludes to  this :

Peipert’s experience in the Calerie trial points to these issues. Despite his banner biomarkers, he had trouble sleeping, a reduced libido, low energy and was hungry most of the time. “I used to love to garden,” says Peipert, now 57. But during the trial, “I was wheeling a wheelbarrow around full of dirt, and I felt weak. I wasn’t myself.”

Refs:

http://discovermagazine.com/search?q=calorie+restriction

https://thepaleodiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2002-Walford-Calorie-restriction-in-biosphere-2.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2018 at 11:30 AM, KHashmi317 said:

Discover is revisiting CR again, with (I must admit) a decent synthesis of CR in 2018. 

From the latest article, something new to me was a before/after image of RW (the b/w image in the new Discover article  is actually from a 2002 Journal of Gerontology paper about CR in Bio 2).

The b/w (above) shows senior author  [of 2002 paper] (R. Walford) after 15 months residence inside Biosphere 2 (on the left: weight 119 lb or 54 kg), and 18 months after exiting Biosphere 2 (on the right: weight 150 lb, or 68 kg; normal weight when on an ad libitum diet)

150 lbs -- in my book -- is not "CR", esp. for his avg. height. So, RW did weight cycle a bit.

The 150 lb weight regain was not cycling, but was a one-time thing done  to get a kind of "reverse baseline" after the unintentional CR experiment in the Biosphere, since little true baseline data was available (exactly because the CR experiment in the Biosphere was unintentional); he was to my understanding quite consistently CR after that, though sometimes doing it in an alternate-day-fasting way to accommodate a festive meal, etc.

Archived