Grape Seed Proanthocyanidins Increase NAD

Thanks for the report.  One question:  is it only  grape seed PACs that might have an impact on NAD levels,  or could PACs from various berries possibly have such an effect as well?

In any case, a major concern for me would be the possibility of long-term adverse effects from the chronic intake of very large amounts of PACs.

Grape seed proanthocyanidins induce pro-oxidant toxicity in cardiomyocytes

Collectively, the authors conclude that higher doses of GSPE [grape seed proanthocyanidin extract ]could cause apoptotic cell injury via effector caspase-3 activation and subsequent induction of ROS generation. Consumers may take higher doses of dietary supplements in the belief that natural herbs have no major side effects. This study demonstrates that dosages of GSPE should be optimized to avoid potential harmful pro-oxidant effects.

Antioxidant/Pro-Oxidant Actions of Polyphenols From Grapevine and Wine By-Products-Base for Complementary Therapy in Ischemic Heart Diseases

Grape pomace and grape seeds, by-products of the wine industry, and grapevine cane resulting from grapevine pruning are cheap matrices containing important amounts of polyphenols. While there is a continuous need of introducing new ways of these by-products valorization, we propose their use as a source of bioactive polyphenols for complementary therapy in ischemic heart diseases. As oxidative stress plays an important role in these diseases, by their antioxidant/pro-oxidant properties, these compounds, mainly flavan-3-ols, procyanidins, and resveratrol may counteract the damage of the oxidative stress. For instance, to some extent, the grape seed extract, considered as an antioxidant nutritive supplement, may have pro-oxidant activity as well, depending on dose, duration of administration, and other dietary components.

The antioxidant/pro-oxidant balance is multifactorial depended, especially dose and time, therefore it is an extremely sensitive process that can be easily shifted. Therefore, the fine line between doses that induce beneficial or undesirable effects should always be investigated.

Also, the antioxidant/pro-oxidant effect should be approached globally, a correlation between the plasmatic and the tissues levels in both normal physiological or pathological conditions could offer insight in finding the optimal dose and time for a balanced antioxidant/pro-oxidant effect.

Edited by Sibiriak

I'm not sure about PAC from other foods impacting NAD-I didn't find any published studies for that. Anecdotally, my diet includes cinnamon and cacao, which contain PACs, but yet my NAD is relatively low.

In terms of toxicity, that's why I'm focused on closer to the whole food, grape seed powder, to increase my daily PAC dose.