My continuous glucose monitor (CGM) logging [and health notes]

Alex K Chen

I just put a new CGM on today! I'll log various foods and my glucose response to them! First time in (barely) over a year. Original log at rapamycin.news, but invision is a better forum than discourse so I'll post here. Want to do some testing before I get into the new canagliflozin trial

Previous thread here: https://www.rapamycin.news/t/alex-k-chen-metabolic-cgm-progress-my-everything-in-longevity-thread/466

[I will post here now b/c invision board gets less unwieldy with size]

EDIT: I DID NOT PUT THE SENSOR ON THE PROPER BACK SIDE OF THE ARM THE FIRST TWO TIMES SO THE VALUES ARE NOT RIGHT. STILL THE SPIKES ARE IMPORTANT

===

Glucose started at 72, 2 hrs after canneli beans w/o protection.

===

I have hibose I need to test (interesting I didn't test for just barely over a year). Also some beans. Need to test beans with both hibose and white kidney bean extract, and *also* beans without any protection.

Then at some point I'm going to test SANDWICHES with hibose and then white kidney bean extract. The kidney bean extract is especially important b/c if I can block glucose increases with that, I don't need to do all the hassle of acarbose. Also, sandwiches with JUST enough acarbose to block the increase (I overdid acarbose every time I used a sandwich in the past, but this also wasted too much acarbose)

also going to test canned tomatoes **and** salsa (probably going to be a high increase, like I got with tomato sauce). These are the foods I omitted last time..

ALSO need to test this on Bush's Blue Zones beans...

[I also need, at some point, apricots/plums/peaches to see if I can reduce them with acarbose, but they're not in-season rn]

I will get 300mg canagliflozin on roughly March 21, and then I'll use it to test if I can use it to block glucose increases from strawberries

=======

At 21:00 I ate Bush's best chickpeas [right after Gochu Curry Kraut, miso, and an entire box of almonds], than 300mg hibose. 30 minutes later, glucose has increased from 80s to 93 (not much). 36 minutes later, it seems to go down again..

Glucose back to 82 at 22:18. Damn

Edited by InquilineKea

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Ok at 00:45 I eat an entire can of amazon fresh whole tomatoes 25*7 calories at BG 82. I'll see if that changes anything.

at 1:58: 83. barely a blip

image.thumb.jpeg.1ab220c449dfc6d99851b09c0be94dd3.jpeg

[while I have two weeks on this, I better stop by trader joe's and whole foods to see what foods of theirs I can test later this week [trader joe's for their vegetable soup thing]. and roche's bros to see if i can get a nectarine/apricot

To be fair tho, I've already tested most of the foods I commonly eat. I went for a year without a CGM but even then, mostly went for low-GI foods (though this sometimes meant binging on walnuts) and even avoided apples (though I did binge on dried apricots from time to time, b/c the apricots were freely available - this was my biggest food mistake last year, and they sometimes knocked me out). This was only on several occasions but I better test how I respond to dried apricots...

also i microdosed weed today

===

daylight savings time today! I can't believe that I will look forward to eating BREAD later today, b/c I have to test the hibose and kidney bean extract for once... [but like, I don't use them much for that b/c I've mostly barred bread]. The real use is for beans and a few fruits, but it's possible they're not even necessary when eating beans.

Screenshot_20240310_001801.jpg

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

Two cans of cannellini beans spaced 30 minutes apart with lots of white kidney bean extract (now I'm unsure if that extract even works). I did take empagliflozin 

Screenshot_20240310_193342.jpg

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

One more can of garbanzo beans with 300 mg hibose at 18:52. I think I want to resolve the hibose question for good by tomorrow. 

One can of beans is 420 calories, so 2 cans is 840 and 3 cans is 1260 calories or enough for a day. I have binged on more than 3 but not very often.

Maybe white kidney bean extract works at much larger doses but I'm not optimistic now. The priors were always lower 

4th can of cannellini  beans at 20:20 [again with hibose]. this will resolve lots of uncertainties for good. that's 1680 calories. i have veggies and tomatoes for the rest of today.

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

diced tomatoes vs tomato puree makes a difference..

i forgot i got donicep, i can see if this reduces appetite. still not using semaglutide again yet.. [tho i should test it eventually]

0:28: the salsa only has a mild effect on my BG, but next time I need to try on an empty stomach. I know pomi tomato sauce spikes my BG like crazy so I have to try it on salsa.

next time tomorrow i'm testing bread and apricot and maybe nectarine

==

god there were several days last week where i was really dead/unable to wake up.. i hope this wont be true next week

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

At 16:30/16:37, just ate 2 loaves of panera bread (360 calories) with 500mg hibose acarbose. This will determine for good whether or not hibose works (tho BG is also increasing from a low of the 50s - it was in the 50s throughout my downtown boston chiro)

idk if relevant but ive been taking a lot of primeadine the past month. also i dosed high on melatonin last night (but only last night).

also continual weed microdoses (which I haven't done much but am doing more)

I took empagliflozin a bit later, I know it doesn't reduce the spikes

17:17 [30 minutes later], BG at 67

===

I'm going to try apricots next but I'm concerned that fruit sugars (fructose) are not properly quantified with CGMs b/c CGMs are for glucose..

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

Ate 700 calories of apricots at 18:03 (+lots of acarbose)

81=>108 at 18:49, down to 100 at 18:55, 93 at 18:58, 87 at 19:02.

for 700 calories of apricots, this is really good. It would feel really weird for apricots to be "safer" than berries, but it could be possible b/c apricots have sucrose.

===

I got on the canagliflozin trial! So need to just need to exhaust this CGM before I get on it!

===

45 calories of petite diced tomatoes at 19:02

==

Hmm, I could like live on a very low protein diet.

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

Screenshot_20240311_190735.jpg

at 19:15 I'll eat bush's best zones curried chickpeas (with more hibose).That's 315 calories. [that's 95 calories less than one can of garbanzo beans]. I won't expect any huge changes.

==

I'm very capable of eating 770 calories of catalina crunch at once [easy bc it doesn't affect BG, but it is still an ultraprocessed food *and* UPFs have more microplastics] - if i can figure out more substitutes, i wouldn't do it again.

==

next step is to try nectarines, plums, and peaches [the other 3 high-sucrose fruits]. kpfleger tries ezekiel bread so I'll try that with and without acarbose

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

After so many heavy meals that I ended up napping for an hour.. yet BG has always stayed low enough.. I drink heavily carbonated water to make up for half of food cravings

I think my main issue is that CGMs make me eat way more protein and fat than optimal, so figuring out how many carbs is safe is important for my health

Ezekiel bread is less ultra processed than keto breads and has less protein so I have to try it (though it has less fiber than optimal and I can tolerate way more fiber/acarbose than most ppl)

Screenshot_20240311_233436.jpg

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

Base culture gluten free bread, 1500 calories at once

But barely a bulge 

Screenshot_20240312_083601.jpg

12 hours later and I still feel very full, and CGM constantly at 70-75

at 19:47, I did ~200 calories of ezekiel bread without acarbose (after 1 bottle of pickled veggies) - this will be an impt control. it has a GI of 36.

20:18: zero BG increase

gonna test beans w/o acarbose tomorrow...

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

I kind of knew it from Mike Lustgarten but it still doesn't register strongly enough in me. I have melatonin powder, I should try that instead of the pills...

1 hour in and zero glucose increase from 200 calories ezekiel bread. Wow.. I should try some tomorrow [first thing in the morning] and see if I get the same results. This feels incredible that *one* brand of bread actually isn't unhealthy (though *be picky*, b/c bread increased Steve Horvath's GrimAge). Ezekiel bread could be even healthier than legumes b/c it doesn't have as much protein.

ezekiel bread (and base culture keto bread) feel **very smooth**. Fruit does not feel "smooth", and even beans can sometimes knock me out. I know I knocked myself out from eating too much several times 2 weeks ago (and over the past month), often from almonds or beans or one late-night snack of boiled vegetables from ubereats

Screenshot_20240312_205252.jpg

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

Just ate 4 more slices of Ezekiel bread at 21:22 [no acarbose], just want to test this **for good** sooner rather than later. This def puts me at a bit over 2000 calories today (just like yesterday) but that's nothing compared to some of my nut binges. Ezekiel bread may make nuts completely unnecessary.

Wow, this bread could transform my life.

70=>78 over 38 minutes, 80 over 44 minutes, 83 at 49 minutes, 86 at 56 mins, 89 at 64 mins, 91 at 66, 90 at 73 minutes [so it peaked then]. This is a safe increase but acarbose should be used on larger amounts.

95 two hours in but then a decline, but I really paid way too much attention to this when my BG has never been so stable.

==

down to 86, then I just ate 3 more slices of Ezekiel for hell of it [more tracking before I do other things tomorrow]. this made BG peak at 102 before going back down

==

insulin sensitivity is really good lately, I wonder if it's because I've been eating healthier lately. I do sometimes eat a few strawberries and blueberries but otherwise nothing that spikes my BG that much.

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

Not in the past 36 hours

Screenshot_20240313_161918.jpg

Just bought peach, nectarine, and plum which I'll all test with acarbose on cgm 

All the seltzer water and beans and Ezekiel bread yesterday still makes me full enough

Screenshot_20240313_163138.jpg

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

Nectarine and peach both barely made a bulge, and the bush beans. I need to test more "non best case scenarios" bc I'm not always hooked to acarbose

Need to test strawberries next I know this is a control bc they usually spike my BG crazy high

Spikes later in the day are always smaller but this could be due to higher insulin. I did end up napping today after all the fruit but it's insane how little of that fruit affected me (though again I have to test berries on this bc berries spike me bad and the offset here is high)

I have some gas now but it's never unpleasant and I'm VERY LUCKY that I tolerate it

Screenshot_20240313_232812.jpg

Edited by InquilineKea

Posted (edited)

Ate half a bag of Ekeziel bread (that's like 800 calories), and hibose kept the increase to 70->88 in 1.5 hours and it's going down now.

I could try oatmeal next. I grew so averse to oatmeal after seeing the crazy spikes w/o acarbose but it would be nice to bring down with acarbose. But I come across oatmeal so rarely now that it might not be worth trying much. Idk.

Ive been noticing A LOT of biphasic spikes. https://www.levelshealth.com/blog/what-does-it-mean-if-i-spiked-twice-after-a-meal-biphasic-spikes-on-cgm-explained

Idk, everything here is much better than before [tho it could be systematic offset error], maybe i should continue to microdose weed.

Edited by InquilineKea

• Alex K Chen changed the title to My continuous glucose monitor (CGM) logging [and health notes]