Diet and Meditation for Telomere Preservation

Gordo

Hi Gordo!

It's more Greger nonsense.

I was at CRONA, where telomere's of CR restricting subjects had their telomeres tested.  As Michael Rae had predicted, our telomeres were not longer than controls.

Also, I recall studies that showed that meditation does not lengthen telomeres.

--  Saul

He never mentioned in the video that CR lead to telomere preservation.    One of the studies related to meditation that was mentioned was:

image.png.aa5857b22dfe7314e5156e14b212273d.png

But here's a more recent related publication (not cited in the video):

image.png.8c17a92f377bc61de99b090b51ddd2f7.png

image.thumb.png.bdf78f314d04b408b82f3509f4a76223.png

image.png.758c15dd49439812426f4b5e398beb49.png

Hi Gordo!

There is a lot of hype on this topic.  The Nobel Laureate who discovered telomerase was one of the principle presenters at CRONA.  She was involved in many studies to explore what benefits there may be in various healthy procedures and extended telomere length.  Two of the many that didn't pan out were CR and meditation.

There are many theories of what's really significant in aging:  telomere length, mitochondrial theory of aging, ROS, etc.  My take:  All of these and more.  IMO, telomere length is not one of the most important ones.  In fact, it isn't even well-defined:  in a given animal (or human), different tissues show different rates of thinning of the telomeres.

--  Saul

• 3 weeks later...

The true purpose of meditation is to let go of your constant stream of thoughts that you go through daily like your fears, desires, anxieties, etc., and experience stillness so that you can have the glimpse of your soul. And about Foods with high water content, such as fruits and vegetables, moisturize the skin and keep you hydrated. They also contain antioxidants to protect against cell damage for younger-looking skin. Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish, such as salmon, nourish the skin and may help reduce the appearance of wrinkles. This combination works for me. Information giver - https://askyourfitnessquestion.com/bakhar-nabieva-diet-nutrition-legs-workout-life

• 3 weeks later...

I do recall a study of severe stress and telomere shortening as measured. These were mothers who had children that were sick.Terrible thing for a mother to endure that and yes their telomeres were shortened by that experience. 

https://www.pnas.org/content/101/49/17312

That suggests at least that mindfulness based stress reduction could help.

Hi Mike!

I'm happy to say that I will be attending a 

22 hours ago, mikeccolella said:

mindfulness based stress reduction

series at the University of Rochester, starting next Tuesday evening.  It will run every Tuesday, 6:30-8:30PM, for six weeks.

I've attended this before.  I love it.

😊

--  Saul

Hi Mike!

I've attended it before -- I love it.

Actually, I learned from it -- I've learned how to "live in the moment", and to attempt to take joy in every moment and stimulus (including cold showers 🙂).

And I sometimes meditate --- although I don't have a regular meditation schedule.  (I'm do daily aerobic exercise -- but one can be in a meditative state while exercising.)

The mbsr program also involves some yoga -- I'm happy to get back to that.  (Later next week, I might visit the Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, my favorite vacation place during Spring Break.  I love doing yoga -- and enjoying the CR friendly food served at their daily buffets -- while there.  (It's in the Berkshires, about 4 hours drive East of Rochester, NY in western MA.)

--  Saul

Archived