Tom Dayspring and lipids

On 5/14/2023 at 1:24 AM, mccoy said:

This is a pretty concise summary, does dietary cholesterol influence plasma cholesterol? Surprisingly, the answer is little, yes and no. Little in individual who express the average amount of specific receptors in enterocytes, yes in the hyperabsorbers, no in the hypoabsorbers. Genetics govern here and with unlucky combinations of the above receptors some people may be big hyperabsobers and suck up all the dietary cholesterol they eat. Basic concept is that individual variability governs, and this is a main aspect in human biology, which is too often neglected.

There is a kernel of truth at the core of this, but Dayspring, just like Attia, spins it to make unsupported claims that make little sense, but are aimed at giving comfort to those who like their bacon and eggs too much, and to industry.

Of course genetics matter, but so do epigenetics and behavior that affects them. And no, most of the genetically endowed cannot eat 20 eggs a day without adverse consequences, as Dayspring claims in almost every interview. Sure, they will have lowER cholesterol compared to the genetically unlucky, but dietary cholesterol and saturated fat still matter.

Associations of Dietary Cholesterol or Egg Consumption With Incident Cardiovascular Disease and Mortality

Conclusions and Relevance  Among US adults, higher consumption of dietary cholesterol or eggs was significantly associated with higher risk of incident CVD and all-cause mortality in a dose-response manner.

For what it's worth, I went through the snips identified as most significant for LDL-C, including the ones Dayspring mentions, and my genetic profile put me at a somewhat elevated risk.

It may explain why my total cholesterol hovers around 150-160 despite a pretty low fat diet, that averages about 47 g of total fat, including 7g Omega-3, 13g Omega-6, 8.5g saturated fat and 0.1g transfats.

But TC was about 180 or so before I cut out EVOO at home, and supplementation with Omega-3 increases my TC and LDL-C as well.

But my Pulse Wave Velocity is about 6.5 m/s which is not bad for my age.

So, IMO diet and lifestyle do make significant difference, and in my book they beat the pharmaceutical interventions pushed by Attia and Dayspring any day.

4 hours ago, Ron Put said:

There is a kernel of truth at the core of this, but Dayspring, just like Attia, spins it to make unsupported claims that make little sense, but are aimed at giving comfort to those who like their bacon and eggs too much, and to industry.

Ron, what the heck, you cite the skeptic philosophers and then you fail to recognize the rhetorical hyperbole of Daysprings's 20 eggs a day? I really think it's a hyperbole since there is no people eating 20 eggs a day except professional bodybuilders during hypertrophy phases.

I also am amused by your persistent dislike of Peter Attia. After all, if you read his book, he's applying some strong self-criticism, especially in the chapter on diet. He displays a graph and then he says that years ago his own position on the graph was at the height of Mount stupidity (an early phase of knowledge when people have studied a little and believe to know everything).