Might Taurine supplementaion increase healthspan and/or lifespan?

On 2/8/2024 at 3:27 AM, TomBAvoider said:

I did go ahead and buy the taurine from Amazon, recommended by Gordo. The bag has a supplied plastic spoon, which supposedly holds 2000mg (i.e. 2g) of taurine, that is one dose, just as Gordo mentions. 

Well, I gotta admit, I'm really wondering if my senses are out of wack, because the supplied spoon looks to me to not be big enough to hold 2g of the taurine powder, no way no how. I mean, I assume they mean the spoon without it "heaping", just level is 2g, but even with "heaping" I find it super surprising that it's 2g. I have been taking taurine in capsule form for over a decade, 500mg per capsule. That's 25% of the dose claimed to be held by the supplied spoon. But eyeballing it, it seems to me that the spoon would barely hold the 500mg from the Solgar capsule. I just find it very hard to believe it holds 2g!

I've had to nuke my kitchen due to a flea infestation (we have cats), and I packed away my kitchen stuff offsite, so as not to contaminate, and my sensitive sub-gram scale is packed away somewhere, so I don't have easy access to it atm.

Gordo - or anyone who has the same product - have you measured how much of the taurine is held by that spoon? Maybe I'm crazy, but my eyes simply cannot believe the claim - of course, I imagine the company supplying the product must know what they're talking about, but it's just so hard to believe.  

TomB, is it specified: 'Scoop size 2000 mg"? Sometimes the labels are tricky. I'm taking an NMN product where it says 500 mg in one serving. In another part of the same label, it also says: scoop size 250 mg. I only noticed it a while later, at first I was tricked into believing that 1 scoop = 1 serving.

• 1 month later...

Hm, for the reasons unclear for me just decided to look again into the original paper this thread started with.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10630957/

They used rather a therapeutic dosage for their experiment:

A pilot study was performed to select the suitable dose and frequency of taurine administration. This analysis showed that a single oral administration of taurine at 1000 (T1000) mg/kg body weight (BW)/day in middle-aged WT mice increased the peak taurine concentrations to the levels seen at baseline in young (4-week-old) WT mice (Fig. S1A).

Mice were gavage-fed with vehicle or taurine (1000 mg/kg BW) daily from 14 month and the treatment continued till the end of their life.

To get to the human data I used this https://www.jkom.org/upload/31-3 01 [01-07].pdf

which for a 60kg human is close to 5g daily dose, no idea if it will create serum concentrations close to the observed in the young people.

Also there is an interesting addition by authors:

We note here that taurine doses used in the present study might not be optimal for all organ functions.

That could be interesting because they do not reveal the reasons they are noting)

I personally do not want to eat 5g of taurine daily to increase the gradient enough that it will help to push the taurine to the brain areas because I have 2-2.5 times the lab normal range (however reliable the norm is in this case) with a "small tongue of a teaspoon" dose (I assume 200-300mg) of it.

But invention of a kind of molecular "jit/kanban" for it will make it more attractible. As well as other molecules that were promising but after decades still producing results almost indistinguishable from nothing.

Br,

Igor