List of all the major personalities/feeds/websites in diet/metabolism/longevity/nutrition/biochemistry, esp those who highlight *mechanistic* well

Posted original list at https://www.rapamycin.news/t/complete-list-of-memorable-high-openness-people-communities-focused-on-slowing-rate-of-aging/4722/4

but i can't edit so this will be my main thread from here on out

Those who have adapted well to the age of social media ("funner"/more readable than traditional academics), easier for novices to make use of their content

-https://www.youtube.com/@Physionic (the most sensible of them all, does lit reviews better than elicit.org or examine.com).

- Dayan Goodenowe (strongly recommend his content above and beyond that of *anyone*)

- fireinabottle.net (does not emphasize aging, and views on MUFA are opposite of mine, but highlights the individual enzymes/pathways *extremely* well)

- optimising nutrition (posts on the *fillingness* of foods - potassium and cholesterol are both filling [this also convinced me ovo-vegetarianism is the ideal way]). Spinach comes off as very filling by this criteria

- Casey Means of Levels

- Chris Masterjohn (his posts I still can't fully get through)

- Mike Lustgarten (the major flaw in his videos is that he mostly tracks the "standard blood panel" biomarkers, which don't measure much (and they don't even change with age in certain individuals, esp CRONites). Maybe for Mike, they mean something
- Doris Loh (everything on melatonin)

- grg.org (Johnny Adams), has his own mailing list

- Bryan Johnson (and his doctor Oliver Zolman)

- rapamycin.news (also Brian Delaney's other community, age-reversal.net)

- https://www.youtube.com/@TheKalishInstitute (ion panels too)

-https://www.youtube.com/@genovadiagnostics

- David Feldman (very pro-keto). Also the keto personalities. I know keto is a very controversial issue, but there are many people who quantify EVERYTHING on it => easier understanding of biochemical pathways (watch your sd-LDL and APOB - more impt than LDL)

- Ben Greenfield of bengreenfieldfitness. His book is rly good

- Standard CR personalities (Paul McGlothin, Michael Rae, Dean Pomerleau). Not as central to longevity as they once were (ppl don't like idea of CR)...

- Nick Lane

- TruDiagnostic people (Hannah Went). They're very responsive

- GlycanAge people

- Mikhail V. Blagosklonny (very pro-rapamycin, though also pro-[high-protein, low carb])

- Kat Fu (Twitter)

- Karl Pfleger (also foresight-adjacent)

- https://www.rapamycin.news/t/dr-sandra-kaufmann-winning-the-glycation-battle-bill-faloon-a-brief-update-on-age-reversal/7722 [Bill Fallon - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Faloon - has a very important ecosystem around him, but has strong salesman vibes that reduce his S/N ratio]

- Michael Gregor (many people object to his content and do not view him as truth-seeking - however - his recommendations are still generally pro-longevity as long as you take acarbose with the grains). His videos are fun.

- those who create longevity LLMs (Anton Kulaga is trying this), elicit.org, examine.com

- Jinfiniti

- Foresight Institute/Allison Duettman (they've interviewed a lot of people, I know they really care). Also, Steven Fowkes and the old Silicon Valley Health institute

- Kara Fitzgerald (multiple scientists are skeptical of the way she published her protocol, but still SOME interesting takes)

- Dave Asprey (controversial)

- Brad Stanfield  - some his arguments (eg going against CGMs) appeal to the worst of bioconservative instincts that hold progress back

Status from more mainstream/less Internet-y sources

- traditional nutritionists (eg Dr. Walter Willett), Dean Ornish

- Mindspan (Pete Estep)

- omics people [Jessica Lasku-Su, Mike Snyder, SomaLogic]

- historical Arivale people (eg Nathan Price)

- historical: Terry McGlothin/Ray Kurzweil (who wrote A Fantastic Voyage), David Ewing Duncan (Transcendant Man), quantified self people (eg Larry Smarr), Blue Zones people [still strong reason for skepticism]

I've also posted on https://www.rapamycin.news/t/complete-list-of-memorable-high-openness-people-communities-focused-on-slowing-rate-of-aging/4722 but have to adapt here b/c crsociety.org more friendly to long-form (+allows me to edit old threads)

For communities, https://forum.longevitybase.org/t/communities-forums-online-communities-in-geroscience-aging-or-upstream-eg-more-general-biology-neuroscience-compbio/140

[We are in the GPT4/LLM era, expect to see someone new take all the input above into a LLM and combine it into **the best longevity advice ever**, one that transcends the "diet wars" over saturated fats]

Stem cells/exosomes people:

- Christian Drapeau [his book is good]

- Ed Park (also has a new book)

- Stephen McCain

- Knoepfler lab (maintains a highly respected blog, but is also v. traditionalist and skeptical of "human guinea pigs")

Places where you find many more of these people congregate: biohackers village @ Defcon, several telegram chats, zuzalu/vitalia.city, RAADfest, A4M.

Edited by InquilineKea

• Alex K Chen changed the title to List of all the major personalities/feeds/websites in diet/metabolism/longevity/nutrition/biochemistry, esp those who highlight *mechanistic* well
On 11/12/2023 at 6:16 AM, Mike Lustgarten said:

This was a tremendously valuable podcast. Congratulations on starting it! I really liked the balance between different segments of the podcast. For example, during the initial third where literature is reviewed I found some of the points below to be of interest:

• There are 5 basic habits that tend to get people to 90 (BMI less than 25, not smoking, moderate alcohol intake, exercise, and a healthy diet)
  • Pushing the longevity curve out past 90 - dietary quality and exercise dose being two of the best strategies currently available for doing this
  • The detailed discussion around factors that affect all-cause mortality and what reduces premature death (and if so, by how much)
  • People in the highest quintile of exercise get around 8 more years of life - this sounds great, but there may be a more optimal way of exercising
  • The governments exercise recommendations are centered around getting average results while most of us in this space are aiming to get much more than average
  • There is no published data showing the life expectancy gain someone will get from the intersection between biomarkers of health and the specifics of someone's exercise regime
  • Exercise is a hormetic stressor and we all have different stress (exercise) tolerances - the body often doesn't adapt to increasing loads of exercise over time, in fact, this is true only for a subset of people
  • Michael Lustgarten and Crissman Loomis have sensible approaches to moderate/vigrous exercise, but there is a massive difference with daily stepcount as Crissman often gets 20k to 40k steps

I also very much enjoyed the open conversation around a balanced regime (cardio, strength, mobility, flexibility, balance), what diet and time-restricted feeding looks like in practice, circadian alignment, and more! In short, keep up the amazing work professor!

8 hours ago, drewab said:

This was a tremendously valuable podcast. Congratulations on starting it! I really liked the balance between different segments of the podcast. For example, during the initial third where literature is reviewed I found some of the points below to be of interest:

• There are 5 basic habits that tend to get people to 90 (BMI less than 25, not smoking, moderate alcohol intake, exercise, and a healthy diet)
  • Pushing the longevity curve out past 90 - dietary quality and exercise dose being two of the best strategies currently available for doing this
  • The detailed discussion around factors that affect all-cause mortality and what reduces premature death (and if so, by how much)
  • People in the highest quintile of exercise get around 8 more years of life - this sounds great, but there may be a more optimal way of exercising
  • The governments exercise recommendations are centered around getting average results while most of us in this space are aiming to get much more than average
  • There is no published data showing the life expectancy gain someone will get from the intersection between biomarkers of health and the specifics of someone's exercise regime
  • Exercise is a hormetic stressor and we all have different stress (exercise) tolerances - the body often doesn't adapt to increasing loads of exercise over time, in fact, this is true only for a subset of people
  • Michael Lustgarten and Crissman Loomis have sensible approaches to moderate/vigrous exercise, but there is a massive difference with daily stepcount as Crissman often gets 20k to 40k steps

I also very much enjoyed the open conversation around a balanced regime (cardio, strength, mobility, flexibility, balance), what diet and time-restricted feeding looks like in practice, circadian alignment, and more! In short, keep up the amazing work professor!

i agree.

--  Saul

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

https://desmolysium.com/vitality/#supplements

t.me/agelesscivilization

Join CEOs, Investors/VCs, Doctors, Hollywood, biohackers and more to stop human extinction and replace suffering with fulfillment. First we want to stop aging in the humans that don’t have enough time to do good things in this world. Share your LinkedIn!

Edited by InquilineKea