Supplements that might counteract the effects of CR

Hm,

shouldn't it work two ways - since there is nothing that could really mimic CR (I don't believe anybody who spent enough time doing own research really believes there are such things with noticeable effect) then it is the same unlikely that there exists some substance that could really break the CR. The reason - CR has systemic effect on the whole body which originates at the very low level (on every cell but to a different degree).

I am cutting out obviously bad things like artificial metabolism speedup drugs which are not 100% safe for non-CR persons also. The same is for other known to be bad things, etc.

Or I am using too simplistic approach and there are known details with a solid ground that has to be taken into account?

Br,

Igor

8 hours ago, IgorF said:

Hm,

shouldn't it work two ways - since there is nothing that could really mimic CR (I don't believe anybody who spent enough time doing own research really believes there are such things with noticeable effect) then it is the same unlikely that there exists some substance that could really break the CR. The reason - CR has systemic effect on the whole body which originates at the very low level (on every cell but to a different degree).

I am cutting out obviously bad things like artificial metabolism speedup drugs which are not 100% safe for non-CR persons also. The same is for other known to be bad things, etc.

Or I am using too simplistic approach and there are known details with a solid ground that has to be taken into account?

Br,

Igor

This is an interesting proposition. I suppose the short answer is that we do not know and are unlikely to know anytime soon. You are correct that many drugs are just plain dangerous to everyone and that they are risky regardless of who you are (with your mention of fat burners, ephedrine comes to mind). There are a number of people, like Michael Lustgarten, that have diagnosed hypothyroidism and have taken Levothyroxine for very extended periods of time. But this is a hormone naturally found in the body, so it seems biologically safer... in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Dean Pomerleau said:

Hi Brian!

I think such a list would have to include anabolic agents like testosterone and HGH.

--Dean

It is interesting that these hormones are also mentioned, given that the body naturally produces them. Perhaps it's neutral or less harmful to take these hormones given that the are least found in the body. I do wonder about people who take these hormones and are diligent about monitoring them (and keep things well within the normal range).

I always find it impressive when some individuals (like Michael Lustgarten or Paul McGlothin) are able to maintain relatively high levels of testosterone. This has not been my experience as my levels trend towards lower... though I'm more or less okay with it. 

As a point of interest, here were my levels a few weeks ago with I them tested (14.5 nmol/L which is 418 ng/dl for my American friends). 

image.png.1981115edc3a4e036d7274dbd3d26b53.png

At the end of the day, my speculation is that there are probably a plethora of drugs/medications/interventions that work counter to the effects of CR, but that there is probably not a lot of data on them. 

• 4 weeks later...

When listened to the audio version of Coleen Murphy's "How We Age" book I was surprised by an effect observed in flies, a brief on it is here https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-scent-of-a-calorie-wh/

https://www.cell.com/fulltext/S1534-5807(07)00064-0

I can't find the mentioned study from 2017 but it seems there are more studies about the olfactory influence on well-known regulatory paths, e.g. the refs of https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0962892423002349

and so on.

So it could be the case that not only the meds and lifestyle stimulating the growth-related machinery could, well not cancel the CR effect in more complicated organisms like mammals but dempfer it (imho to a small degree if any) but also intense enough stimulation by some flying chemistry.

Given that we assess the olfactory as a separate sense but from the buildup perspective it is rather a part of a wide sensory continuum wired into the brain the idea is completely ok but I am skeptical about the size of the effect (and easiness of CR/DR cancellation via other factors) due to the complexity of mammals in comparison with more primitive organisms - the same basic building blocks that are dealing with materia and energy transformations have less degrees of freedom due to their incorporation into much more complex structures (this is the reason we can't see 30-100% lifespan increase from CR in mammals also).

Br,

Igor