Ordering rapamycin from Sigma-Aldrich online?

Alex K Chen

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/search?interface=All&term=rapamycin&N=0&sort=DIMENSION_FWGHT|0&mode=partialmax&focus=product&lang=en&region=US

^Does anyone know how I can figure out how large the batch sizes of the rapamycin are?

At this point, with the new results coming out from dogs, I think there's a reasonably strong chance that the adverse effects aren't worth worrying too much over.

At this point, with the new results coming out from dogs, I think there's a reasonably strong chance that the adverse effects aren't worth worrying too much over.

Inquiline, I wanted to answer you something like this: "just go ahead and tell us if that's true!" but I'd like to quote a few cautionary words from the longevity Guru prof. Longo, during an interview dated April, 2016:

1. Do you think that supplementation or certain drugs can help people live longer?

I think it’s often a bad idea. For example, a drug called rapamycin slows aging, but it also causes hyperglycemia; it increases the blood glucose. We know that in mice it also increases cataracts and it increases testicular degeneration. It may also contribute to immunosuppression. Until we are completely sure these drugs and supplements are effective, but also very safe, it’s probably not a good idea.

Hyperglycemia isn't a problem if your diet is already low GI, and you can also measure it...

Testicular degeneration is a desirable thing.

The risks from immunosuppression (esp in healthy young ppl) are overstated - even Matt Kaeberlein said this.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/search?interface=All&term=rapamycin&N=0&sort=DIMENSION_FWGHT|0&mode=partialmax&focus=product&lang=en&region=US

^Does anyone know how I can figure out how large the batch sizes of the rapamycin are?

I agree with you that it may be worth a try )short term experimentation?). I'd try it if my doctor would agree to give me a prescription: she won't. I bow. She also won't let me try oxytocin, and I even presented her with studies. She may have my best interests at heart, even if I don't always have them myself. Testicular shrinkage (perhaps a s/e from raps) wouldn't bother me either (with my over active libido); but my doctor says it would. "...Until there's more human data..." says she of (fwiw) your ( lInquilineKea) university (Harvard) "I say no."

Have you motivation to try a group buy on longecity?

Off topic: where are you (InquilineKea) standing on NR (Niagen) self trials?

• 1 month later...

A very interesting Tim Ferris podcast on rapamycin and metformin for longevity purposes; takes place on Easter island (Rapa Nui) in teh anniversary of the discovery of such a molecule; one of the guests is David Sabatini, the main researcher of the mTOR pathway. They speak about human usage of rapamycin, its drawbacks and potential schemes (which would imply intermittent use, similar to the concept of intermittent fasting).

It is eloquent the fact that David Sabatini does not use rapamycin.

Yes, I have long been intrigued by the rapa + met combo, but alas, not enough human data out there. The fact that it's moving into the mainstream to the point that folks like Tim Ferris discuss it, only makes me grow more skepitcal. 

The podcast is a very good one, although rather lenghty, but I've been listening to it while driving and time flew by real fast.

Tim Ferris lets his guests (David Sabatini, Peter Attia, Navdeep Chandler) speak out, what I remember among the ample material expounded is that:

1. Quite a few people in Silicon Valley have started taking rapamycin
  2. It carries some known effects like mouth ulcers (allegedly because of immunosuppression)
  3. Nobody really knows an optimal dosage yet for humans although intermittent use is thought to be best
  4. Metformin has been widely eperimented but according to Sabatini that's a drug specifically tailored for diabetis, not longevity

And more interesting stuff about the discovery and history of rapamycin, the death of its discoverer who managed to delay it by taking the drug, the metabolic pathway of mTOR and other stuff, I should probably listen to it again. Next long drive.

• 2 months later...

Who are some of the people in SV who are starting to take rapamycin?

They don't say the names, I guess the youngish new technologies and web entrepreneurs (those who are into Tim Ferris' acquantaince). Maybe you'd like to find a doctor which can prescribe you the right dosage, I have no names though, Dr. Peter Attia probably is exprimenting that with some patients.

Listening to Longo & Rhonda Podcast, I found about more collateral effects of Rapamacyn: hyperglicemia, cataract, testicular atrophy.

This is stuff which if you are healthy and insane enough to try must be taken with extreme care, starting from very little doses and low frequencies. 

The initial dosage might be estimated, I guess, by the dosage used before transplants, which is known. That's brutal  mTOR deactivation, we would like a softer downregulation instead, but pharmacology is not so easy... 1/10 of that dosage for alternating weeks? Disclaimer: just very wild speculations for the sake of discussion,  I would never suggest to try to anyone.

However, isn't  CR supposed to have a similar effect without the dangers?

• 2 months later...

Inquiline, I just came across a long thread in Longecity where they name some people who are taking rapa. for example, the Russian-born biogerontologist Blasoskonny. Maybe even Tim ferriss and Dr. Attia themselves, and more. Some guys out there have published their own experiments with the drug, actually, a cocktail of drugs among which rapamycin, metformin and others. Good luck to them!

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/89073-new-rapamycin-study-up-to-60-increase-in-mouse-lifespan-anyone-experimenting-with-this/page-1

Archived