Sign in to follow this  
victoria1

CR combined with intermittent fasting benefits

I have been practicing CR for a while now, but lately I have been getting more and more into a intermittent fasting type of regimen as well. I know that both CR and IF has benefits but I wonder if the benefits will  increase if combined? Any thoughts?

Edited by victoria1

Victoria, I don't follow CR nor IF as a rigid rule, but from past threads:

1. Michale Rae strongly states that the benefits of IF ensue only because it implies CR on the average 
  2. Other long-time practitioners of CR also  practice IF with benefits (a single meal per day)
  3. Combined benefits derive from the lower insulin and glicaemic values when meals are sparse and from other metabolic but also physical factors (for example: sheer rest of the digestive system).

You might consider a dexa scan to better establish your body composition - bone density and muscle/fat percentages.  Then engage in your dietary experimentation for a short period, say 3 months, and rescan and find out the impact.  If you are losing muscle or bone then you probably won't want to continue or should make adjustments to preserve lean body mass.

I am new to CR and IF.

Does one really need a Dexascan to establish body composition?  

I use a body fat scale that tells me BMI, body fat percentage, muscle mass percentage, water percentage, and bone percentage.  I know it may not be perfectly accurate, but it is, I believe, accurate enough and a strong indicator of trends.