Fasting for weight loss

Hi!

What's everyone's experience and opinions on fasting for weight loss in combination with CR-dieting. I am trying to lose weight through fasting and CR-dieting with really good results but am unsure if it's healthy... How long would be the longest you'd recommend a fast? I saw a video of a woman online who did three 40-day fasts and read about a guy who did a two year fast under doctors supervision (I think he took vitamin and nutrient pills though)...

Let me know!

Fred.

3 hours ago, FrederickSebastian said:

read about a guy who did a two year fast under doctors supervision

Sounds a bit extreme.  Most people tend to lose in the range of 8-16 oz/day of weight, mostly fat but can be a significant amount of muscle in some cases.  So how long max depends on how much excess one has.  I've never managed to go more than a week as I get issues with cold hands and feet and disrupted sleep but many people manage fasts of a few weeks.  I believe it is rare but there are serious risks of extended fasting and one needs to be careful about things like hydration and electrolytes.

On 4/1/2019 at 11:42 AM, FrederickSebastian said:

Hi!

What's everyone's experience and opinions on fasting for weight loss in combination with CR-dieting. I am trying to lose weight through fasting and CR-dieting with really good results but am unsure if it's healthy... How long would be the longest you'd recommend a fast? I saw a video of a woman online who did three 40-day fasts and read about a guy who did a two year fast under doctors supervision (I think he took vitamin and nutrient pills though)...

Let me know!

Fred.

The example you cite is a 382 days of fasting by Angus barbieri, definitely not two years. Long water fasts are not advised, especially so if you practice strict CR. Occasional short fasts like 1 day are all right though.

My own advise would be to go slow and safe, having lots of patience. Forget about dramatic, quick weight losses which often are only temporary. You have to reset your bodyweight thermostat, the setpoint of your bodyweight homeostasis and that must be done with great caution. It's like a very delicate electronic tool, often it doesn't tolerate shocks. If you follow the general advise given in this forum, track your nutrition, have a little supplementation, practice some exercise, most probably you are going to reset your bodyweight homeostasis in the long term.

On 4/3/2019 at 5:42 AM, mccoy said:

The example you cite is a 382 days of fasting by Angus barbieri, definitely not two years. Long water fasts are not advised, especially so if you practice strict CR. Occasional short fasts like 1 day are all right though.

My own advise would be to go slow and safe, having lots of patience. Forget about dramatic, quick weight losses which often are only temporary. You have to reset your bodyweight thermostat, the setpoint of your bodyweight homeostasis and that must be done with great caution. It's like a very delicate electronic tool, often it doesn't tolerate shocks. If you follow the general advise given in this forum, track your nutrition, have a little supplementation, practice some exercise, most probably you are going to reset your bodyweight homeostasis in the long term.

Yes! That is the fast I was talking about. I wanted to do a 123-day fast with green tea only but it is extraodinaraly difficult and BORING... I am trying to consume between 800-1200 calories per day CR-dieting and its working well, but the weight isn't coming off as quickly as I had hoped and it's hard not to eat to many mixed nuts (for some reason I crave mixed nuts when I fast/diet) I am hoping to be down to 123lbs by the end of the year (I'm currently at 210)... Can you lose more than 2lbs per week without exercise? Just wondering...

Fred

800-1200 calories per day are probably too little. The risk is a strong reaction of the  hypothalamus which will defend your present bodyweight by any mechanisms: for example, decreasing thermogenesis (you will feel cold), decreasing energies (you will feel tired), increasing your sleep (you will feel sleepy), increasing your hunger....

The ugly part of it is that sometimes you won't be able to loose weight as effectively as for example as if you ate 1600 calories, which in your case would seem a more suitable target.

I witnessed the above when suggesting an hypocaloric regimen to my wife. She could not go lower than a determined setpoint even by 900 Kcals a day, which is a very low quantity.

If you wish quick results you should probably increase calories, increase protein, eat a lot of fiber, limit carbs (outside of non starchy veggies),  try and eat bland and unspiced food.

The funny thing is that I have the opposite problem, that is my bodyweight tends to decrease and it's hard to me to stabilize it above a certain threshold.

OK... I'll wean myself onto 1600 for a while with high protein and high fiber... Will protein powder shakes help? Because I have a LOT of protein powder when I was on one of my health-crazes... What are your thoughts on seitan? Seitan is one of my favorite sources of protein :).

Fredrick, seitan is very good if you're not gluten intolerant, also protein powders may be all right for your purpose, especially in satiating smoothies mixed with green banans, skimmed milk, berries, maybe some thickening agent as psyllium powder or guam powder.

I tried guam powder in smoothies and it's extremely satiating, actually it settled on my stomach like a pile of bricks and made me hungerless for many hours... watch out not to exceed!

Archived