Biosphere 3

Sthira

Has anyone here been to Biosphere 2? I haven’t, but In briefly reading some of its history, the entire project seems a little heartbreaking. (Is that the right word?) ...So much seemingly lost potential in so many areas of basic planetary and human health related inquiry....

Several books exist about the project, can anyone (who has actually read one) recommend one? I wonder what happened to all of the Biosphere 2 crew members (other than just Allen and Walford)? 

Would initiating a new, Biosphere 3 project help the human longevity movement in any way you imagine? I smell an Elon Musk-like odor of wealthy interest...

I didn't visit Biosphere 2 when we had the CR Conference near there a few years ago, since we didn't have enough cars to fit everyone who wanted to go. But I think Saul and Michael made the trip. As I recall they were a bit disappointed with the tour, but I won't try to speak for them. 

It does seem like doing it again based on the lessons learned from Biosphere 2 could teach us a lot about small sustainable ecosystems, and would be useful for space colonization as well as coping with climate change here on earth. Musk would be a the right person to back it. Someone should pitch the idea to him. 

--Dean 

4 hours ago, Dean Pomerleau said:

I didn't visit Biosphere 2 when we had the CR Conference near there a few years ago, since we didn't have enough cars to fit everyone who wanted to go. But I think Saul and Michael made the trip. As I recall they were a bit disappointed with the tour, but I won't try to speak for them

It does seem like doing it again based on the lessons learned from Biosphere 2 could teach us a lot about small sustainable ecosystems, and would be useful for space colonization as well as coping with climate change here on earth. Musk would be a the right person to back it. Someone should pitch the idea to him. 

--Dean 

Yes; we made the trip.  Biosphere 2 was underwhelming.

--  Saul