How many calories are you consuming in 2022 (Experienced and novice members welcome)

Allot of time has passed since the early days of CR.

It seems to have fallen out of fashion and the enthusiasm seems to have been extinguished?

I don't see recent threads discussing what everyone here thinks of CR and how it affects longevity. I also would love if you could list part of your stats to give an idea of what other CR practitioners are practicing. Thankyou for your participication.

Daily Calorie: 1850 Kcal

Heights: 168cm 

Weight: 47.1kg

BMI: 16.7

Beliefs: I still believe if I maintain 25% lower energy intake than expenditure that I have a chance of living up to 25% longer than if I wasn't practising CR. I say up to because I abused my body in early years so that damage will surely come up.

I'm hopeful to live to 95.

Edited by pwonline
mistake

12 hours ago, mccoy said:

Daily Calorie: 2300 Kcal

Heights: 169cm 

Present weight:  66 kg

Present BMI: 23.1

Thanks for participating mccoy, you surprise me with the calories if I'm honest.
I thought long time members would have much lower intake of total calories.
what's the lowest calories you have gone down too?

11 hours ago, Mike Lustgarten said:

2300, down from 2800. ~18% CR based on that:

thanks Mike, wow 18% CR is really ideal, still I kept thinking CR was absolute calories rather than relative calories (relative to energy expenditure). I guess my logic going into CR isn't matching CR core intention and I'm basing my calorie intake on absolute terms. I'm still partial to keep my calories to around 1800-1950 (once I get my BMI to 18.5)

20 minutes ago, pwonline said:

Thanks for participating mccoy, you surprise me with the calories if I'm honest.
I thought long time members would have much lower intake of total calories.
what's the lowest calories you have gone down too?

PW, there are hard-core CR practitioners like Dean Pomerleau who eat about 3000 kCal a day, in his case simply because he does a lot of activity.

The lowest to me was about 800-1000 Kcal for about 9 months, which caused very low BMI, malnutrition and sickness though. It was 1981 and in those times there was not much nutrition knowledge, plus I was young and fool.

I wrote 2300 but presently it's more in the range of 2000-2200 since I'm not doing aerobics and it's summertime, no cold exposure, all activities which require more energy. In the winter to me it's more around 2500 kcal.

I do not practice CR to the extent that I'll lose muscle mass. On the contrary, preserving an adequate amount of muscle mass (with as less adiposity as reasonably possible) is a requirement to me.

1 minute ago, mccoy said:

PW, there are hard-core CR practitioners like Dean Pomerleau who eat about 3000 kCal a day, in his case simply because he does a lot of activity.

The lowest to me was about 800-1000 Kcal for about 9 months, which caused very low BMI, malnutrition and sickness though. It was 1981 and in those times there was not much nutrition knowledge, plus I was young and fool.

I wrote 2300 but presently it's more in the range of 2000-2200 since I'm not doing aerobics and it's summertime, no cold exposure, all activities which require more energy. In the winter to me it's more around 2500 kcal.

I do not practice CR to the extent that I'll lose muscle mass. On the contrary, preserving an adequate amount of muscle mass (with as less adiposity as reasonably possible) is a requirement to me.

Yeah I have a keen interest in Dean's philosophy. still surprises me that Dean isn't calculating the wear and tear on his body in order to exceed energy output so he can increase  his calories while still in CRON.

I'm still learning what is best and adjusting. Your calorie range seems good for adhering to long term. 

I'm also trying to increase muscle mass, each week I increase my calorie intake by 50. At around 1800 I seem to be at maintenance. I think I'll try to put on muscle for next 2 years until I reach 40 then aim for maintenance calories.

I haven't considered adjusting calories according to weather climate, would have to take that into account in the coming winter, thanks 🙂 and great job keeping the forum active  👍

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

Daily calorie intake: 1500 K/cal

Height: 170 cm

Weight: 125 lbs

BMI: 19.6

One of the members I was hoping would give us an update!
Thanks Matt!

Matt how is your day to day life regarding energy levels.

How active are you? I was on 1600 calories and my life was miserable, though I was also trying keto and getting fat adapted so had <20g carb which was the majority reason why I was lethargic but 1500 calories is not something I will try again. Your BMI  is great though! how much muscle are you holding? how much value do you place on muscle? Sorry for so many questions, it's just we are basically the exact same age and I also live in the UK and when I was much more stricter CR practitioner I would have loved to connect but I don't plan on lowering my calories below 1800.

1 hour ago, pwonline said:

One of the members I was hoping would give us an update!
Thanks Matt!

Matt how is your day to day life regarding energy levels.

How active are you? I was on 1600 calories and my life was miserable, though I was also trying keto and getting fat adapted so had <20g carb which was the majority reason why I was lethargic but 1500 calories is not something I will try again. Your BMI  is great though! how much muscle are you holding? how much value do you place on muscle? Sorry for so many questions, it's just we are basically the exact same age and I also live in the UK and when I was much more stricter CR practitioner I would have loved to connect but I don't plan on lowering my calories below 1800.

I'd say I'm lightly active at this point. Most of my exercise is from playing VR games, otherwise I'm working a lot right now from home. I should probably be doing a little more tbh. Some games can use up quite a bit of energy, though: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/04/21/vr-workout-games/

My day to day energy levels are fine, I don't feel lethargic or anything like that.

Like you, when I was much younger, I was only able to maintain a BMI of about 16 when I ate around 1550 K/cal per day. My thyroid levels are a lot lower not (fT4, fT4), my body temperature is significantly lower than it used to be in my early years of CR, and my testosterone and DHT levels are a lot lower, too. 

Perhaps these are some of the reasons why I can maintain a higher body weight now at similar calorie intake as I had when I was younger.

I used play a lot of soccer (football) when I was younger... I was very active and fit almost my entire life, so I probably lost some muscle, at least in my legs, from not doing that for years.

I have a weighing scale in the bathroom that supposedly gives a measurement of muscle, fat, and water percentages. I don't know how accurate it is but I can try it out later and share! 🙂

I am very happy with my BMI now! I much prefer being around this weight than just over 100 lbs as I used be.

I've no interest in gaining a lot of muscle. Sarcopenia gets brought up a lot as a concern, but muscle function and the mass that we do have, is maintained by CR over time, and sarcopenia delayed.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'd say I'm lightly active at this point. Most of my exercise is from playing VR games, otherwise I'm working a lot right now from home. I should probably be doing a little more tbh. Some games can use up quite a bit of energy, though: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/04/21/vr-workout-games/

My day to day energy levels are fine, I don't feel lethargic or anything like that.

Like you, when I was much younger, I was only able to maintain a BMI of about 16 when I ate around 1550 K/cal per day. My thyroid levels are a lot lower not (fT4, fT4), my body temperature is significantly lower than it used to be in my early years of CR, and my testosterone and DHT levels are a lot lower, too. 

Perhaps these are some of the reasons why I can maintain a higher body weight now at similar calorie intake as I had when I was younger.

I used play a lot of soccer (football) when I was younger... I was very active and fit almost my entire life, so I probably lost some muscle, at least in my legs, from not doing that for years.

I have a weighing scale in the bathroom that supposedly gives a measurement of muscle, fat, and water percentages. I don't know how accurate it is but I can try it out later and share! 🙂

I am very happy with my BMI now! I much prefer being around this weight than just over 100 lbs as I used be.

I've no interest in gaining a lot of muscle. Sarcopenia gets brought up a lot as a concern, but muscle function and the mass that we do have, is maintained by CR over time, and sarcopenia delayed.

thanks for detailed response!
why don't you post more videos on YouTube, you are a rare breed of dedicated CRONie! Now that the world is obsessed with diets and calorie counting you might have a niche audience that you can leverage to create a side venture.

you deserve more recognition, living off 1500 calories is out there! 

2 hours ago, pwonline said:

thanks for detailed response!
why don't you post more videos on YouTube, you are a rare breed of dedicated CRONie! Now that the world is obsessed with diets and calorie counting you might have a niche audience that you can leverage to create a side venture.

you deserve more recognition, living off 1500 calories is out there! 

Yeah I know, I really should have started doing videos on YouTube a long time ago. I see lots of interest in anti-aging, fasting, calorie restriction these days. It's almost all on YouTube as well, people don't read blogs as much as before. But it's also more personal and people would get to know me more if I did videos. It always felt a bit strange though, to me, talking about anti aging and trying to guide people or something while still being quite young myself (when I was in my 20s especially). I thought people wouldn't really take me that seriously. 🙂

I said to my friend not long ago how people might take more notice when I turn 40 (in just 2 years). I think I will get more recognition, it's just up to me when I want to put myself out there more. And I definitely will, I just have been focusing on other things right now that will set me up for a better future. 🙂 

Edited by Matt

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yeah I know, I really should have started doing videos on YouTube a long time ago. I see lots of interest in anti-aging, fasting, calorie restriction these days. It's almost all on YouTube as well, people don't read blogs as much as before. But it's also more personal and people get to know more more if I did videos. It always felt a bit strange though, to me, talking about anti aging and trying to guide people or something while still being quite young myself (when I was in my 20s especially). I thought people wouldn't really take me that seriously. 🙂

I said to my friend not long ago how people might take more notice when I turn 40 (in just 2 years). I think I will get more recognition, it's just up to me when I want to put myself out there more. And I definitely will, I just have been focusing on other things right now that will set me up for a better future. 🙂 

glad you YouTube on the back of your mind! but I honestly believe with how young you look and your calorie intake make you are a superstar. YouTube just takes time to build an audience but once you reach critical level you'll explode exponentially. I also think you not only your results are impressive but your expertise and knowledge in health in general are top tier. Once you start making YouTube again just enjoy it and do videos that are easy for you to make because first develop a love for posting videos, rather than any set goal. 🙂

any chance you can share your current venture? I like hearing about entrepreneurial stuff