Improve Lung Function, Reduce Blood Pressure, Slow Brain Aging?

• 5 months later...

Very unexpected to see that lung training correlate with worsening lung function but I guess the decline in blood pressure suggests it may still be worth it. I don't agree with your idea that stopping the lung training should necessarily cause the blood pressure improvement to disappear right away (within 2 months). If you pumped up your biceps by doing heavy curls every day then stopped those biceps aren't going to just disappear right away. Also in that last video toward the end you imply that you've been losing body weight during this lung training period (which might account for the lower blood pressure) but you didn't actually show a graph of your weight over this time period which would have been informative. Having that confounder does muddy the results.

Edited by Gordo

That's a fair point, but for the BP effect to persist for 7 weeks after disuse is unlikely. If I lifted weights for 7 weeks, and then stopped for 7 weeks, I'd expect a gradual strength decrease over time.

Ah, the BP plot included all the body weight data since 2019, not just during the 7-week training period. But I get your point-for the next video I can include a specific plot for BW before, during and after. Thanks Gordo!

Mike, if I may point out one possible issue with your blood pressure and aging assumptions: I remember reading a few studies where blood pressure did not raise significantly with age in metabolically healthy people.

I was just looking up BMI in hunter gatherers and changed the search to blood pressure, and it seems that at least what pops up for me supports my thesis that blood pressure remains stable throughout most of life.

Abstract 029: Age-Related Blood Pressure Changes at the Incipient Stages of Westernization in Yanomami and Yekwana Tribes | Circulation (ahajournals.org)

4 hours ago, Ron Put said:

I was just looking up BMI in hunter gatherers and changed the search to blood pressure, and it seems that at least what pops up for me supports my thesis that blood pressure remains stable throughout most of life.

Swedish scientist Staffan Lindeberg wrote a book on his studies of trobrian island aboriginals before the contact with modern lifestyle, he also confirmed this thesis, his old paper also could be fetched via scihub (https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2796.1994.tb00804.x) but the book expands the topic wider.

Br,

Igor

6 hours ago, Gordo said:

Some free techniques to potentially improve lung capacity :

Breathing Exercises to Increase Lung Capacity

Although I'd think vigorous exercising in general would be just as good if not better. 

There isn't a resistance applied there-in contrast, the lung trainers provide resistance. It's like punching the air vs punching the air holding weights. 

8 hours ago, Ron Put said:

Mike, if I may point out one possible issue with your blood pressure and aging assumptions: I remember reading a few studies where blood pressure did not raise significantly with age in metabolically healthy people.

Abstract 029: Age-Related Blood Pressure Changes at the Incipient Stages of Westernization in Yanomami and Yekwana Tribes | Circulation (ahajournals.org)

No worries Ron. Rather than assuming BP won't rise because I'm metabolically healthy, 120/70 isn't optimal based on the paper showing faster brain aging for BP that was > 115/75. Testing BP, rather than assuming studies in other people to be true for me, is also an integral part of my approach.