New Year. New or Same CR philosophy?

pwonline

Happy New Year everyone. I hope everyone finds enjoyment and productivity in this 2023!

So I'm confused, is CR dead in the water? How many still believe in CR and practice it. I know of Dean who has a calorie restriction but his output is so high that he still eats total calories exceeding what was originally the way people assumed to follow CR namely to output low calories, at least below 2000 calories.

How many are still holding onto that belief? seems as though most have just gone to moderate CR and have abandum the notion "it's all about the calories"

Please share your thoughts

I'm still on serious CR.  I'm 83, fully employed as a Prof of Math (the oldest in our math dept), in good health and exercising daily.  IMO, diet, exercise, adequate sleep and mental stimulation are the key to a long and happy life.

But you're correct -- most of the people in these Forums are either on mild or moderate CR -- or not very interested in CR; there are a lot of people interested primarily in body building, or in looking physically attractive.

(Although I think that Dean and Gordo are correct in cautioning you on avoiding severe fasts on your current diet.)

--  Saul

Happy New Year!

I think the generally disappointing results of the long-term primate CR experiments (where CR added little on top of a healthy diet) took the wind out of the sails for many (but no means all) hard-core CR practitioners. There are still a few around here, like Matt and Khurram, but obviously the discussion of the science and practice of CR as tapered off here in the last few years. 

In general I think the lack of significant apparent progress in anti-aging has been discouraging for many of us in late middle age and older. There was an optimism in the early '00s that aging was tractable and that CR might bridge the gap until progress tackling the root causes of aging could be made. I think it is now clear that aging is a tough nut to crack and real progress is likely still decades off. 

--Dean 

16 hours ago, Saul said:

I'm still on serious CR.  I'm 83, fully employed as a Prof of Math (the oldest in our math dept), in good health and exercising daily.  IMO, diet, exercise, adequate sleep and mental stimulation are the key to a long and happy life.

But you're correct -- most of the people in these Forums are either on mild or moderate CR -- or not very interested in CR; there are a lot of people interested primarily in body building, or in looking physically attractive.

(Although I think that Dean and Gordo are correct in cautioning you on avoiding severe fasts on your current diet.)

--  Saul

so impressive you still working @ 83! and having output at what you do! kudos. I've listened to their advice and won't be doing any extended fasts. I hope to be on this journey with you for decades!

Thanks Dean for the overview. Good point about the progress halt of new science into CR.

seems as though that those carrying on are people that enjoy the lifestyle about CR.

maybe I'll come to the same conclusion as the majority here that it's futile to go so low, for 2023 I'll carry on observing others and myself. I hope everyone had a good Christmas and new year

• 1 month later...

There is still a lively debate about the primate studies and their methodology and interpretation, and I would not discard CR as a health-span, or even life-extending hack. If anything, CR would make people more attractive in tight jeans and make coach air travel less unpleasant...

CR is still being studied, see for instance this CALERIE result:

Calorie restriction trial reveals key factors in enhancing human health

The question for me personally is that I am unsure how do we define CR.

My BMI varies between 18.5 and 19, rarely shoots up to 19.5 before I dial it down.

Am I on CR? I don't know, but if asked, I would have to say no, since this is where I was when I was 20, and if I reduce my calories even 15% my BMI would likely drop to 17 or so.

But if you ask some of my old school friends who are at 30+ BMI, they would respond that I am on a severe CR. Go figure.

Edited by Ron Put