Exercise Timing Is Associated With All-Cause Mortality Risk

Asked ChatGPT on the topic, to confirm the correllation:

is intraday time of excercise correlated with all cause mortality?

There is limited evidence to suggest that the time of day of exercise is correlated with all-cause mortality. However, a few studies have indicated that exercising in the morning may be associated with a lower risk of mortality compared to exercising in the evening. Additionally, those who exercise in the afternoon may experience better sleep quality than those who exercise in the evening. Therefore, it is recommended to spread out physical activity throughout the day and find a time of day that works best for an individuals lifestyle.

and to share some speculations:

what are possible reasons for intraday time of excercise and all cause mortality correllation?

There are a few possible reasons for the correlation between exercising at different times of day and all-cause mortality. Exercising in the morning may be associated with a lower risk of all-cause mortality due to the fact that morning workouts can help regulate the body's natural circadian rhythms and improve sleep quality. Additionally, exercising in the afternoon may help improve cognitive performance, reduce fatigue, and increase energy levels. Finally, exercising in the evening may help reduce stress and improve mood.

I personally think the evidence is too weak and the topic is to wide to make any longterm conclusions, it could require two orders of magnitude study base (or wider) to draw some strong generalizations but its just a personal opinion.

Br,

Igor

On 3/7/2023 at 11:12 AM, drewab said:

This just seems bizarre to me - I think something else has got to be at play here but I’m not sure what the explanation would be. Anyone care to speculate? 

I don't necessarily find it bizarre at all. My guess will be that a larger proportion of those who cram their exercise early or late in the day may be more cedentary during the rest of the day, for instance those who work at an office and sit for long periods during the workday.

This may also be exacerbated by lumping the very early and the very late exercisers with morning and evening groups, as they may do their exercise so early or late because they work long (sedentary) hours, or perhaps because they have sleep disorders.

I am also wondering if the right side of the U-shape curve is somewhat affected by riskier behaviors by those who are fitter. Or alternatively, depending on the length of the study, some obese subjects may simply be pushing themselves because they've experienced a health-related event and are trying to compensate a lifetime of bad habits.

And I would definitely disregard ChatGPT's take for now, as it simply scoops up info from the more popular sources of related information, which may or may not be accurate. Garbage in, garbage out.