All,

At the recent CR conference, Dr Richard Miller from the University of Michigan gave a great talk on the Interventions Testing Program, a NIA-sponsored, rigorous, multi-center effort to investigate the potential of various drugs, supplements and nutriceuticals to extend lifespan in mice. Dr. Miller shared with us some results which have now been published.

Here is a good summary of the latest results. It looks like the most promising interventions were metformin+rapamycin, acarbose, and 17-α-estradiol (in males only).

I'm not planning on running out to take any of these, but I find acarbose interesting. It works by blocking the breakdown of carbohydrates, and suppressing hunger - in many ways like eating extra dietary fiber (a controversial topic itself) as discussed here on the Dietary Fiber - Health Promoter or Anti-CR Hunger-Suppressor? thread.

--Dean

Thanks for sharing.

According to this study, "Acetic acid has been shown to suppress disaccharidase activity (3) and to raise glucose-6-phosphate concentrations in skeletal muscle (4); thus, vinegar may possess physiological effects similar to acarbose or metformin. " I would love to see a trial of vinegar on mice because getting in 2016 Metformin or Acarbose in most countries is not a walk in the park.

Also since Acarbose works by blocking the breakdown of carbohydrates, I am wondering if it is an interesting "longevity" drug because that mimicks calorie restriction or/and because it lowers the postprandial blood glucose. Because a low GI diet extended average lifespan by 12% in aged Balb/c mice but it was apparently not an isocaloric diet.

I have also read on this study on that "Metformin retards aging in C. elegans by altering microbial folate and methionine metabolism" & so "capitulates the effects of dietary restriction" but "does Not Extend Lifespan on a High Glucose Diet".

I am planning to  take Acarbose 25mg for unusual high carb meal. I already have it with Metformin generic 500mg too. I bought it for my mum who is diabetic but she does not need it anymore. And I hate wasting :D I probably need to monitor the impact on my blood sugar or/and hba1C before/after(now at 5.2%, for my age it should be around 5.0) and also compare Acarbose with plain vinegar. I am maybe too young/crazy to take them (33) . Your opinions are welcome.

Archived