How low could one go (could, not should) in calories, while still reaching Optimal Nutrition?

Geo

Hi all,

What's the lowest calorie figure one could reach while still hitting all nutritient targets? Using only whole foods, not supplements (perhaps only B12 for vegans).

I mean could, not should. It's a theoritical question, just out of sheer curiosity. Since, as mccoy formulated it in another thread, CRON is kind of a game, minimizing something under a constraint (optimal nutrition).

Thanks!

Geo

Cronometer gives us hard numbers but the underlying data is rather fuzzy.  I think to answer this question well we'd first have to know what are appropriate nutrient targets.  And we'd need to more accurately know the nutrient content of our foods.  Many of the nutrients come in multiple forms some of which are more bioactive than others.   We would need to know the bioavailability/absorption/conversion characteristics of each of those forms of nutrients with  respect to our unique genetics, microbiome and dietary patterns.

Gordo, from your link:

Barbieri took vitamins on various occasions throughout the fast, including potassium and sodium supplements.

Todd,

I agree with you completely.  But of course, we can use Cronometer and other tools to get an estimate -- and to warn us of any severe lack of some nutrient(s), if any; and, along with our daily morning weighing, get some idea to estimate how many calories we've absorbed in the past day.

--  Saul

I was being facetious because it’s a goofy question. Let’s say you concocted the perfect blend of nutrient dense low calorie foods, and let’s say you get your RDA of everything on 400 calories- ok, so what? You still need another 1600 calories give or take to survive assuming you don’t stay in bed all day, hence by definition you cannot have optimal nutrition without  adequate calories, so the question really becomes- how many calories are required to have optimal health.  If you look at people who put this to the test, they often have bone density problems so maybe that’s one way to zero in on an answer (if you have osteoporosis you probably aren’t doing something right), another factor might be susceptibility to infectious disease. You could also just look at the massive meta studies on BMI as a reasonable guideline for an optimal range with regard to mortality.

Maybe geo meant minimum calories from whole foods without supplements, except B12.

So the constraints would be to respect the following:

• Amminoacids RDAs
  • Micronutrients RDAs or AIs or RIs
  • Fatty acids AIs or RIs
  • Fibers RDAs or AIs or RIs
  • (more???)

I'd start from the lowest calories foods, such non starchy vegetables, and see how many micronutrients I'd be able to collect

Then to amminoacids and the other nutrients, choosing from the lower calories foods if possible (may not be possible for tocopherols, D3 and others).

On 10/25/2018 at 4:24 PM, Geo said:

Hi all,

What's the lowest calorie figure one could reach while still hitting all nutritient targets? Using only whole foods, not supplements (perhaps only B12 for vegans).

I mean could, not should. It's a theoritical question, just out of sheer curiosity. Since, as mccoy formulated it in another thread, CRON is kind of a game, minimizing something under a constraint (optimal nutrition).

Thanks!

Geo

I do 3 days, of cr(been a year) with 3 days refeed. 1000-1500 call per day. Have to eat eggs, liver, hamburger,sardines/salmon,  nuts,  unlimited veg, every 1 need to sup Epsom salt bath, vit d. 

Archived