How many people are actively on a CR diet?

FrederickSebastian

I don't think there is a well defined CRON diet to which one can evaluate compliance but I'm probably not on it.  My long term goal is maximizing healthspan rather than lifespan.  For nearly 6 years I have been very deliberate in my dietary choices in pursuit of my goals but my short term goals and my thoughts of how best to achieve them are evolving.  I have zero interest in following anyone else's dietary strategy but am very interested in how diet impacts physiology in general which guides my experimentation to see what works best for me.

On 7/9/2021 at 10:14 PM, Todd Allen said:

I don't think there is a well defined CRON diet to which one can evaluate compliance but I'm probably not on it.  My long term goal is maximizing healthspan rather than lifespan.  For nearly 6 years I have been very deliberate in my dietary choices in pursuit of my goals but my short term goals and my thoughts of how best to achieve them are evolving.  I have zero interest in following anyone else's dietary strategy but am very interested in how diet impacts physiology in general which guides my experimentation to see what works best for me.

OK Nice to know. Thank you for responding. I am hoping to achieve longevity but starting at age 36 is a little late I would imagine. I also don't want to do it all for nothing (I could get hit by a bus tomorrow)... But when I was on the diet a few years back for a month or so, I never felt better.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:11 AM, FrederickSebastian said:

I also don't want to do it all for nothing (I could get hit by a bus tomorrow)... But when I was on the diet a few years back for a month or so, I never felt better.

By focusing on how diet impacts my health versus following a diet which might improve longevity I realize benefits every day of my life.  Makes it sustainable for me and even if I get hit by a bus it still was a win.  If your diet requires significant effort and sacrifice it will be challenging to sustain when short term benefits such as rapid weight loss diminish.

On 7/16/2021 at 9:48 AM, Todd Allen said:

By focusing on how diet impacts my health versus following a diet which might improve longevity I realize benefits every day of my life.  Makes it sustainable for me and even if I get hit by a bus it still was a win.  If your diet requires significant effort and sacrifice it will be challenging to sustain when short term benefits such as rapid weight loss diminish.

oh ok... thank you for your input... I am now on 2000 cals/day and feeling great... Hoping to get down to 1600 in the next year or two...

I've been on and off an 800 cal/day diet for the last few months. when I'm on it I feel great, but hungry all the time. when I've off it I feel horrible. 

I've learned to tell myself that hunger is good. water sometimes helps, but getting used to hunger is my goal. I'm assuming that at some point it will go away on its own.

But why you don't simply follow the 750 kCals, 5-days fast mimicking diet by Valter longo? Once a month it would constitute a powerful tool for  longevity and healthspan.

And the 3 weeks off you might follow something similar to his longevity diet, with controlled calories,  

Adequate refeeding is just as important as the restriction itself, or more.

What does it mean on and off? Do you binge during the off periods? Too much of a restriction for too long may be detrimental, not beneficial.

OP, I learned about CR in 2009 when recommendation #1 against cancer was "Be as lean as you can without becoming underweight".  Would not have been some stupid substance abuse, I would have done much better since then.   With myfitnesspal, I now find it easy to reach my daily goal  (1550 net calories) and I weight a lot of food, including peanut butter.   I want to get and stay @ 9-10% body fat (currently at 15%, so not too far away).     I have been near 240lbs 5'10" in the 2000s, so it is already a drastic improvement to me.     It also got easier when I familiarized myself with plant-based diet (ref/Dr. Greger).  I still eat animal proteins twice a week and I keep proteins  very low.