Ron Put

Omega-3 to Omega-6 Ratio Experiment

In the last month or so I've started using Cronometer (before I used Myfitnesspall for a year) and with the new data available to me in Cronometer, I decided to drive my Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio closer to 1:1 and see what happens in 6 months.

My main source of Omega-3 is unfortified brown flax meal of which I eat between 40 and 70 grams a day. I eat smaller amounts of chia seeds and steel cut oats (all organic, so not fortified). I also eat about 15-20 grams of walnuts and about 20 grams of "raw" cacao nibs every day. I've started eating mushrooms every day as well, in addition to legumes (Black Gram, since it has a great Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio, lentils, quinoa, chick peas, occasionally black rice, etc.). I also eat a good amount of leafy greens, roots, broccoli sprouts and an apple or a pear almost every day.
My last test showed (I am in my late 50s):

Cholesterol: 170
LDL: 87
HDL: 73
Triglycerides: 54
HSCRP: 0.35 (this was a weird jump from 0.02 a year earlier, but the change doesn't appear significant).

My resting heart rate is 50-51 on Fitbit and 48 according to Cardiogram.

I've stopped taking multi-vitamins, now I take:
B12 (2000)
D (2000) (I am genetically predisposed to have somewhat lower absorption of both and my numbers show me at the lower end)

gGlucosamine (1000)
Q10 (200)
Citracal (half a dose (1 caplet), mostly because I found a large bottle :)
Alpha-GPC (300)
Curcumin (Natrol 2x250 CurcuWin)

I also take 2 caps of Olive Leaf extract, but when I run out, I am switching to bulk Olive Leaf Powder from Frontier, maybe 3-4 grams a day.

I am a vegetarian, mostly vegan, except that I eat cheese maybe three times a month and eggs maybe once a month.

Since I started being more religious about tracking my food intake and nutrients with Cronometer, as well as going for a three mile hilly hike/run 5-6 days a week, my BMI has dropped to the high 18 and my body fat, according to my scale hovers about 10%. I now eat within a 9-12 hour window. I am almost struggling to eat enough to keep up to 80%-85% of my caloric requirement, based on Fitbit and Cronometer -- I have to often eat over 2000 calories to do it. Don't need to get skinnier :) I am 6'1", 141 lbs today, 13.8 lbs fat, 120.6 lbs muscle mass, 6.5 lbs bone mass and 85.7 lbs body water.

I'll post what happens based on the Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio change in about six months, when I'll have another blood panel. I like data and this is kind of fun for me.

I am curious if someone else has already done it?

Edited by Ron Put

My experiments run more in the line of nutrients versus bodyweight/bodymass. Buy the way, the new feature in the gold cronometer version allows direct correlation between variables, for example you can choose plots to superimpose your bodyweight to omega 3/6 ratio and see the joint behaviour of them.

It is more usually used to monitor Calories vs bodyweight but ha sno limitations I reckon. Only drawback you must subscribe to the gold edition.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:37 PM, Ron Put said:

in addition to legumes (Black Gram, since it has a great Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio

I wouldn't be too concerned about the ratio for Black Gram since it's almost fat free.

17 hours ago, Kenton said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the ratio for Black Gram since it's almost fat free.

Here is the nutritional data I have found for Black Gram (also known as mungo beans or Urad Dal):

"Mungo beans — aka Urad Dal — are by far the best choice with 603mg Omega 3 and just 43mg Omega 6 in one cup cooked (not to be confused with mung beans)."

https://plenteousveg.com/vegan-sources-omega-3/

Edited by Ron Put