What is the minimum weight to survive for each height?

UserReqDel20200217

Fernando, I'm going to give you homework.

According to Valter Longo, we can estimate a minimum  BMI of 14 kg m-2, the BMI measured on many Jews in concentration camps in WW2. Below that, it's death. Sometimes even a little above it.

So, you can link to some online BMI calculator and find the weights yourself.

Edited by mccoy

Some people have serious health problems at a higher BMI than that. Anything below 17.5-18 can cause issues. Under 16.5-17 people often begin to show serious signs of malnutrition. But I think it depends more on body fat percentage than BMI. Someone more athletic/muscular will likely start showing symptoms of malnutrition at a higher BMI.

7 minutes ago, Jenn R said:

Some people have serious health problems at a higher BMI than that. Anything below 17.5-18 can cause issues. Under 16.5-17 people often begin to show serious signs of malnutrition. But I think it depends more on body fat percentage than BMI. Someone more athletic/muscular will likely start showing symptoms of malnutrition at a higher BMI.

I was 6 feet and 95 pounds in January 2019 now I have 126 pounds in September 2019 and about 15-16% fat, how many pounds can I get without dying?

Your BMI is very low at 126, so I'm not sure how safe it would be for you to lose weight. If you're a guy I think 10% body fat is the lowest you can be. If you're a girl you' probably want to get it up to 18%+. But again, your BMI is already very low.

Edited by Jenn R

1 hour ago, Todd Allen said:

Bodybuilders have been reported to drop as low as 3% body fat during cuts for competition.  Although 3% of 200 lbs would still be 6 lbs of fat and they typically aren't setting longevity records.

But it's only temporary. I don't think 3% is healthy long term.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:36 PM, Jenn R said:

If you're a guy I think 10% body fat is the lowest you can be.

I’m sure you can maintain a little lower than 10% sustained - but I get your point- maintaining the physique of a skinned rabbit indefinitely isn’t likely optimal.

Edited by Clinton

• 5 weeks later...