Regaining Health with CR Diet

ThomasL

I'm going to layout all my issues as i'm looking for hope/help starting a CR diet. I'm morbidly obese at 335 lbs and my body is falling apart. Recently I've had a cardiac stent inserted, I've got major back problems, fatigue, stomach problems, and now I have nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy) that's causing pain (pins needles) in my legs/arms. To say the least i'm not in great shape. Sometimes it's hard to find the will to go to work. It's a struggle just to do the basic things in my life like cooking, cleaning, and hanging out with kids and friends.

Recently I've been reading a lot about following a CR diet to help repair the body in various ways, lose weight and extend your life. Mostly I just want to get healthy again, lose the weight and repair my nerve damage. I think a CR diet is the way to go because in my late 20's I went on a CR diet and lost 150 lbs.... for a period of time (about 2 years) I never felt better in my entire life. Unfortunately it didn't last and I put weight back on over the next several years. Fast forward 24 years and my body is a complete mess... I need to recapture my youth.

Has anyone had experience rejuvenating their bodies using a CR diet?

Edited by ThomasL

Thomas, from your descriptions a well designed CR strategy is likely to provide good results in your case. Actually, in my opinion CR is the optimal choice for overweight people, whereas it may not be so optimal in naturally lean ones.

First of all, a disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional, nor a nutritionist. What follows is merely an example, which according to my own experience, the reports of the users of this forum and authoritative technical literature might be useful to lose bodyweight without incurring deficiencies or health problems. During a diet, regular medical supervision is always advised.

possible strategy is the following.

• For one week, by the use of the cronometer app, measure the calories you ingest every day, by weighing food. All food items, especially so the fats.
  • At the same time, measure your bodyweight making sure it keeps constant
  • At the end of the week, average your weekly caloric intake (cronometer can do that automatically)
  • During the second week, decrease your caloric intake by 300 kcals. Always weigh whatever you ingest and input it into cronometer. As soon as you reach your daily limit (average of first week-300) stop eating that day. Keep measuring your body weight on the same scale, in the morning before breakfast .
  • IF you are not losing weight, repeat one more week. Otherwise  keep on
  • If you are not losing weight, keep decreasing your intake by 300 kcal every two weeks until you reach about 1500 kcals. 
  • By this time, if you are not losing weight, decrease by 100 kcals until you reach about 1200 kcals.
  • Stay on 1200 kcals for some time, a few months actually and record your bodyweight.
  • What follows depends on your bodyweight trend and health conditions. After cutting a few dozens of pounds, it may be a good idea to starts some regular exercise, walking is the best.

What to eat? The best is a whole foods diet based on vegetables, legumes, a little fruit, a few wholegrain cereals, a few nuts, a little fat-free fresh dairy products, a little fish, whatever you wish actually but ruling out junk food and high glycemic index foods. Fibers must be abundant and Everything must remain obviously within the caloric threshold of that week.

Always use cronometer and take absolute care that your protein and essential aminoacids are within the recommended intake, Also, use supplements if you cannot reach the recommended amounts of vitamins and minerals and omega3s.

If you are not discouraged by the above and are able to follow the suggestions, please report here after a few months/weeks.

I'd follow mccoy's advice. Cronometer is a great tool, as it provides nutritional information and allows one to optimize nutrients, as well as keep track of calories.

Going slow and being religious about logging food and tracking is important, IMO.

It's also important to try exercising as much as you can, Thomas. Even going for walks on an incline would work, but do it regularly. Start slow and build a routine. It will get easier as your body resets and you should feel a lot better.

Good luck.