World's oldest person, Kane Tanaka, dies in Japan aged 119

drewab

The world's oldest living person passed away recently at the age of 119. It is hard to believe, but Kane Tanaka was born all the way back in 1903. I can only imagine how she saw the world change during that time. The length of her life was verified by Guinness World Records as well as the GRG (Gerontology Research Group). One of the wildest things about her longevity story is that she underwent surgery for pancreatic cancer at age 45 (she also underwent surgery for colorectal cancer at age 103). Next to the infamous Jeanne Calment, she is the second oldest verified person to have ever lived. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/25/asia/worlds-oldest-dies-scli-intl/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kane_Tanaka

Edited by drewab

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, FrederickSebastian said:

I was really hoping she beat Jeanne Calment's record

Kane Tanaka is the runner up to Jeanne Calment but she fell short by roughly 3 years and 2 months.  Which is a huge gap.  Typically in long running contests with many participants new records just barely eclipse the previous best such as Kane Tanaka beating the next closest by 10 days.  This contributes to my leaning toward the belief Jeanne Calment's record is fraudulent as others have proposed.

On 5/30/2022 at 7:44 PM, Todd Allen said:

Kane Tanaka is the runner up to Jeanne Calment but she fell short by roughly 3 years and 2 months.  Which is a huge gap.  Typically in long running contests with many participants new records just barely eclipse the previous best such as Kane Tanaka beating the next closest by 10 days.  This contributes to my leaning toward the belief Jeanne Calment's record is fraudulent as others have proposed.

The only "proposal" is from a Russian disinformation campaign, AFAIK. Build up Russian national pride while tearing down the credibility of Western science and government authorities, and all that.

Calment was pretty well studied and her history is well known. If it was a conspiracy, it must be a very wide-ranging one, involving the whole town and local authorities, as well as the number of scientists who investigated her.

14 hours ago, Ron Put said:

The only "proposal" is from a Russian disinformation campaign, AFAIK. Build up Russian national pride while tearing down the credibility of Western science and government authorities, and all that.

Not considering the source, I find their speculation plausible.  But even without it Calment's record appears to me as questionable and unimportant due to being a single isolated case that is an extreme outlier of the known distribution.

Western science and government authorities, such as the NIH, FDA, CDC, Fauci and Hillary Clinton, are fully capable of tearing down their credibility by themselves without Russian assistance.

Edited by Todd Allen