How to find dentist that doesn't require x-rays?

So I'm in the Boston area, and I'd really like to find a dentist who can do cleanings without doing x-rays. I've called a number of dentists, and all of them require x-rays. Is there a way to find one that doesn't do them?

With x-rays, it's not just cancer that's a concern. It's also general DNA/protein damage that can accumulate over time.

While many argue that the total dose is small compared to the amount of x-rays one is exposed to in a year.. the thing with dental x-rays is that the exposure is concentrated over milliseconds, which could possibly overwhelm one's DNA-repair proteins during the same period of time.

And then... there's http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20120410/dental-x-rays-linked-brain-tumors

Alex,

My (Pittsburgh) dentist always asks me if its ok to do x-rays, and in order to avoid unnecessary x-ray exposure I typically decline unless there is some clearly identified need - e.g. tooth pain or visible decay, which for me is quite rare. My dentist is happy to comply with my wishes.

The first time I planned to decline an x-ray, I printed out an article like this one from the FDA/ADA, which basically says that for adults without signs of cavities, dental x-rays aren't necessary or beneficial more frequently than once every 2-3 years.

But I have a long history with my current dentist. For new patients, the guidelines suggest getting a set of x-rays done for initial evaluation. So that may be why all the dentists you've called say they would do x-rays on your first visit. What you should ask the dentists you call what their policy is for x-rays in checkups after your initial visit. One set of bitewing x-rays isn't going to kill you, and may even identify locations of decay that you aren't aware of.

--Dean

Thanks so much for your response and personal story!

The thing is.. that I'm highly mobile (moving around a lot) right now, so I might end up being a new patient at a lot of places (especially because Groupon coupons seem to give discounts to people who are first-timers - and I don't have dental insurance at the moment). I should ask them if it's okay to use records that are up to 2-3 years old, but I'm not sure how successful the request will be..

(this is a decision I'm really struggling with right now...)

If we start talking things like CT scans, but pooh-pooh to low dose radiation.  Consider hormesis.

It is from the dental profession, but it serves to support hormesis' effects of low-dose radiation:

http://16miledental.com/dental_x-ray-oakville/

• 11 months later...

Sigh, so I got impulsive and finally agreed to a panoramic x-ray (not having had any cleanings in ~2 years). they took 20 x-rays..... and identified one region (molar-3) as having a developing cavity. Which means more bitewing x-rays to monitor that cavity each and every time I get a cleaning.....

Gum-recession wise, a lot of 4-3-4, especially around the back molars. Recession around front teeth is much milder...

==

btw.. just in case.. what percent of dentists offer composite tooth fillings, as compared to dental amalgams?

For what it's worth, the new digital x-ray machines some dentists are using, have about 1/10th the radiation exposure compared to the "old school" machines.  If your dentist isn't using modern equipment, I'd get a new dentist.  That said, they are always trying to x-ray me, and I am always refusing, but they have gotten me twice in the last 10 years ;)

• 1 year later...

I think the benefits of occasionally getting some bitewing x rays probably outweighs the harm in my opinion. Cavities and hidden infections can cause many problems themselves, which I'd be more concerned about.

Archived