All,

This new study [1] (NY Times coverage) found that reading benefits survival.  Researchers asked 3600+ older adults about their reading habits and then followed them for up to 12 years. They found that people who reported reading (even a little) were about 20% less likely to die during follow-up than those who reported reading not at all or only very rarely, even after adjusting for age, sex, race, education, comorbidities, self-rated health, wealth, marital status, and depression. Here are the survival graphs for the readers vs. non-readers:

aG7fa74.png

Reading books was better for survival than reading newspapers or magazines, but they too were associated with increased survival (about a 10% lower risk of dying). In additional analysis, they found that reading books was still associated with decreased mortality risk even once baseline cognitive ability was factored out. How much reading did it take? Not too much. People in the second tertile of reading amount (0.1 - 3.5 hours/week) benefited almost as much as those in the highest tertile (> 3.5 hours / week). 

Admittedly, it's hard to correct for every single potential confounder in this type of study, but it appears that independent of intelligence & cognitive abilities, and independent of a host of other potential confounders, reading is beneficial for longevity.

--Dean

----------

[1] Soc Sci Med. 2016 Jul 18;164:44-48. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.07.014. [Epub

ahead of print]

A chapter a day: Association of book reading with longevity.

Bavishi A(1), Slade MD(1), Levy BR(2).

Author information: 
(1)Yale University School of Public Health, Laboratory of Epidemiology and Public
Health, 60 College Street, New Haven, CT 06510, USA. (2)Yale University School of
Public Health, Laboratory of Epidemiology and Public Health, 60 College Street,
New Haven, CT 06510, USA. Electronic address: becca.levy@yale.edu.

Although books can expose people to new people and places, whether books also
have health benefits beyond other types of reading materials is not known. This
study examined whether those who read books have a survival advantage over those 
who do not read books and over those who read other types of materials, and if
so, whether cognition mediates this book reading effect. The cohort consisted of 
3635 participants in the nationally representative Health and Retirement Study
who provided information about their reading patterns at baseline. Cox
proportional hazards models were based on survival information up to 12 years
after baseline. A dose-response survival advantage was found for book reading by 
tertile (HRT2 = 0.83, p < 0.001, HRT3 = 0.77, p < 0.001), after adjusting for
relevant covariates including age, sex, race, education, comorbidities,
self-rated health, wealth, marital status, and depression. Book reading
contributed to a survival advantage that was significantly greater than that
observed for reading newspapers or magazines (tT2 = 90.6, p < 0.001; tT3 = 67.9, 
p < 0.001). Compared to non-book readers, book readers had a 23-month survival
advantage at the point of 80% survival in the unadjusted model. A survival
advantage persisted after adjustment for all covariates (HR = .80, p < .01),
indicating book readers experienced a 20% reduction in risk of mortality over the
12 years of follow up compared to non-book readers. Cognition mediated the book
reading-survival advantage (p = 0.04). These findings suggest that the benefits
of reading books include a longer life in which to read them.

Copyright © 2016 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.07.014 
PMID: 27471129

Thanks, Dean,

Actually, I thought that for tertile 3 the magazine/newspaper readers showed better results.  But more fundamentally: "Cognition mediated the book reading-survival advantage (p = 0.04)."

Mom used to read quite a few books when she had time.  Now it is just Word-Seek puzzles and she said last night she gets slower.  But she is past her best before date anyway.

PS: Book reading is probably a much easier test for cognition that standard tests.

Al,

Leave it to you to find and quote the most ambiguous statement from the abstract:

But more fundamentally: "Cognition mediated the book reading-survival advantage (p = 0.04)."

That statement could be interpreted two ways:

1. Smarter people read more and live longer (without causal connection).
  2. People who read more have better cognition as a result, and therefore live longer.
As I mentioned, to tease them apart the authors did sensitivity analysis and found that baseline cognitive abilities did not explain their results:

Additionally, a sensitivity analysis was conducted to confirm that the survival advantage 
of reading books is not due to higher baseline cognition of book readers. Baseline cognition in 
2000 was included as a covariate in the main model. This pattern of findings replicated the 
earlier reported patterns. A protective effect was still found from reading books (HRT2=0.90, 
p<0.0001; HRT3=0.80, p<0.0001) and an attenuated effect was found from reading periodicals.

In short, it appears that reading helps keep your brain healthy, and keeping your brain healthy is associated with improved survival.

--Dean

I wonder how computer use, especially internet surfing & email, etc. ranks against TV?  I've started using my cell phone to set a 15 minute timer each time I sit down at the computer to be sure I don't sit too long.  And inspired by Dean I try to keep my legs moving while sitting.  I'm not pedaling, just tapping my toes and bouncing my legs up and down, but it does seem to help.

Archived