CR Society Forum: Alcohol - CR Society Forum

Alcohol

#1 User is offline   paulgfoster 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hello ,I have a question regarding alcohol , in specific red wine.
I have read Hungarian Pinot Noir is best for reservatrol but i drink an Austraian red as its easier living here.
I appreciate people follow Cr in there own way but would really like to know how much wine others that drink actually consume ?
I am drinking 120 mls day and wonder if this is too much? I would appreciate some opinions. Incidentally i have been on Cr since last year and my health and blood levels have shown vast improvement. :)

#2 User is offline   Guigcam 

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

1 or 2 glasses of wine a day is the recommended amount for a male. Studies show that those who drink regularly but in small amounts live longer than those who abuse alcohol or not drink at all. Regarding resveratrol, no wine has therapeutic amounts anyway (i.e. 250mg per day) so just drink the one you like most. Besides, new evidence questions the benefits of resveratrol:

http://www.fightagin...r-revisited.php

Hope that helps

#3 Guest_boomdog_*

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

The health benefits of resveratrol in humans are increasingly questioned, but something in red wine is helping. Better to stick with the good stuff (real red).

I think the maximum in the survival curve is around one 'standard US drink', or 14 g of alcohol. This is around 5 fl oz. of many wines; you should calculate it based on the ABV (alcohol by volume) printed on the bottle. My favorite wines are all entered into cronometer so I can easily get the right amount.

boomdog

View PostGuigcam, on 15 April 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

1 or 2 glasses of wine a day is the recommended amount for a male. Studies show that those who drink regularly but in small amounts live longer than those who abuse alcohol or not drink at all. Regarding resveratrol, no wine has therapeutic amounts anyway (i.e. 250mg per day) so just drink the one you like most. Besides, new evidence questions the benefits of resveratrol:

http://www.fightagin...r-revisited.php

Hope that helps

#4 User is offline   Michael R 

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

View Postpaulgfoster, on 10 April 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

I have read Hungarian Pinot Noir is best for reservatrol but i drink an Austraian red as its easier living here.

As others have already noted, the idea that even mega-dose resveratrol is a "CR mimetic" is discredited; the amounts in a glass of wine are trivial by comparison.It does seem that some non-alcohol component of wine contributes to an apparently greater health benefit relative to other alcohol sources; the small amounts of resveratrol might be one of them, but so could any number of other polyphenols.

And, really, the amounts of resveratrol in different wines vary too much to worry about terroir or varietal.

I appreciate people follow Cr in there own way but would really like to know how much wine others that drink actually consume ?
I am drinking 120 mls day and wonder if this is too much?

No, that's probably just about optimal, from this meta-analysis(1):

Posted Image
Figure 1. Relative risk of total mortality (95% confidence interval) and alcohol intake in men (left) and women (right). Etracted from 56 curves using fixed- and random-effects models. From (1); cf eg (2) for similar findings in wine specifically.

As you can see, the lowest mortality is at about 5 g/d of alcohol, which is ~50 mL, but is essentially the same up to 10 g alcohol/100 mL wine. I myself consume 90 mL.

Incidentally i have been on Cr since last year and my health and blood levels have shown vast improvement. :)

Congrats!

References

1. Di Castelnuovo A, Costanzo S, Bagnardi V, Donati MB, Iacoviello L, de Gaetano G. Alcohol dosing and total mortality in men and women: an updated meta-analysisof 34 prospective studies. Arch Intern Med. 2006 Dec 11-25;166(22):2437-45. PubMed PMID: 17159008.

2. Streppel MT, Ocké MC, Boshuizen HC, Kok FJ, Kromhout D. Long-term wine consumption is related tocardiovascular mortality and life expectancy independently of moderate alcohol intake: the Zutphen Study. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2009 Jul;63(7):534-40. PubMed PMID: 19406740.

#5 User is offline   DanRMorris 

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

Resveratrol is an antioxidant created by plants to protect them from disease. Grapes happen to be one of those plants (both light and dark grapes). The grapes that produce the highest amount of resveratrol are those that fight problems the most. For instance the Hungarian wines you speak of are grown in a climate that must protect itself from both summer heat and winter cold. Were the grapes to have grown organically, they would also have to fight bugs and disease.

The healthiest wines, and those with the highest levels of resveratrol, are the ones made with those grapes. Since much of the resveratrol manifests in the skin of the grape, you can cut the number of healthy wines in half by eliminating the white wines. Light skinned grape skins are removed for much of the fermentation process. That leaves you with grapes grown in northern regions, whose plantations used little to no chemicals.

Aside from northern, mountainous organic wines - traditionally the healthiest wines are:

• The Cannonau Grapes from The Nuoro Province in Sardinia
  • Malbec Grapes from Argentina
  • Nebbiolo Grapes from the Lombardy region of Italy
  • Tannat Grapes from the Madiran Region of France
  • Sagratino Grapes from Tuscany, Italy
  • Cabarnet Sauvignon Grapes from the Chile or Argentina
  • Dark Muscadine Grapes from North Carolina

-http://www.benefits-of-resveratrol.com/the-healthiest-wines.html

I hope that helps.

Dan

Hello ,I have a question regarding alcohol , in specific red wine.
I am drinking 120 mls day and wonder if this is too much? I would appreciate some opinions. Incidentally i have been on Cr since last year and my health and blood levels have shown vast improvement. :)

#6 User is offline   paulgfoster 

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:18 AM

Thanks so much for the informative replies. Due to living in Australia and the difficulty obtaining specific European wines and a change in my financial circumstances i am currently drinking a red blend which is local from the Margaret river region, a blend of cabernet and merlot and completely organic/preservative free.
The problem of how much to drink has been answered for me as i now need to follow a budget and only drink 50 mls a day which i still enjoy.
Whether or not i get any reservatrol in that small amount is questionable but thats ok , ill stick with it anyway.
Paul

Share, Email, or Print this topic:

Fast Reply

You can make 100 more posts today.
This post will need approval from a moderator before this post is shown.