Chocolate Intake Is Associated With Reduced All-Cause And Cause-Specific Mortality Risk

22 hours ago, Mike41 said:

Almost guarantee it’s an association. 18 grams of chocolate a week, seriously

MMMmmm, yes, conceptually speaking, it's hard to consider it plausible that 18/7= 2.5 grams average of chocolate per day can make a difference. Unless there is some powerful compound in it. I would be tempted to say it's epicatechins, but in chocolate, they are not so concentrated as in unprocessed cacao powder. Is it ccoca butter? 1000-1500 mg per day? As powerful as metformin gram per gram?

Any hypotheses on the mechanistic causes provided by the sources?

OK, now I saw all the video but I'm still dubious. Also, we discussed at length in previous threads epicatechin content of cacao powder, which is very variable according to processing and types (for example, I mentioned that El Ceibo cacao is  probably the highest in polyphenols and probably epicatechin as well).

I may agree with the studies based on 100 grams of chocolate per day, but those based on 2.5 grams per day seem to be a bit of a stretch, unless the epicatechin has been added. It should be possible to infer the optimal amount of epicatechins according to that study, I wonder if the data is there.

Edited by mccoy

2 hours ago, mccoy said:

MMMmmm, yes, conceptually speaking, it's hard to consider it plausible that 18/7= 2.5 grams average of chocolate per day can make a difference. Unless there is some powerful compound in it. I would be tempted to say it's epicatechins, but in chocolate, they are not so concentrated as in unprocessed cacao powder. Is it ccoca butter? 1000-1500 mg per day? As powerful as metformin gram per gram?

Epicatechin, that data is in the video. Ah, now I saw your 2nd comment!

Edited by Mike Lustgarten

On 10/18/2021 at 4:46 PM, mccoy said:

Maybe it is related to the high stearic acid content of cocoa butter.  There is a lot of discussion on longecity about stearic acid's influence on mitochondrial fusion.

Also of interest: https://mobile.twitter.com/matthewjdalby/status/1310966867566178307?lang=en

Edited by tea