Olive oil? Healthy or not?!

5 hours ago, Mike41 said:

Olive oil is always compared to butter, margarine etc. not good enough imo

That's probably because of grants money. Junk diet is followed by tens of million people, so there is huge public interest in improving that. There seems to be far less interest in VLF diets, unsurprisingly because very few people follow, or would follow it. Hopefully someone will start studying it. It may even be that we don't know the right articles.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fat on modern day diet does seem to be detrimental BUT if for example (extreme case) a person is Keto then from what I'm reading (might be bias showing here), the body handles fat MUCH more differently to the advantageous of the person over any other macro nutrient.

Everyone is scared of Fat but that's still debatable whereas it's a statement of fact that carbs cause much damage inside our body, most of modern day civilisation would benefit from eating more fat and less carbs whereas the trend is increasing in ever more carbs and low fat foods being hailed as diet friendly foods.

People won't need to go on yo yo diets if they consumed ~100g carbs a day.

For reference I'm

Carbs:Protein:Fat

25:15:60

127g Fat (21g of which saturates)

76g Mono-unsaturates

21g Polyunsaturates

Edited by pwonline
grammar

On 8/30/2022 at 2:51 PM, pwonline said:

Carbs:Protein:Fat

25:15:60

This is not really a diet that humans have eaten before, except in the Arctic. Methinks it may help with weight loss, at least in the short run, but long term it's likely to be rather detrimental to longevity.

https://nutritionstudies.org/is-the-ketogenic-diet-natural-for-humans/

And don't mistake whole food carbs for carbs from cake and potato chips.

https://www.sydney.edu.au/research/research-impact/the-secret-to-healthy-ageing-is-a-low-protein-high-carb-diet.html

11 hours ago, Ron Put said:

This is not really a diet that humans have eaten before, except in the Arctic. Methinks it may help with weight loss, at least in the short run, but long term it's likely to be rather detrimental to longevity.

https://nutritionstudies.org/is-the-ketogenic-diet-natural-for-humans/

And don't mistake whole food carbs for carbs from cake and potato chips.

https://www.sydney.edu.au/research/research-impact/the-secret-to-healthy-ageing-is-a-low-protein-high-carb-diet.html

The keto article you posted is not relevant here, I'm not into state of ketosis indefinitely, I'm consuming 90g carbs in one sitting, though I don't get hungry whatsoever so I do wonder if I have a higher carb limit to remain in ketosis but I'm not sure. I eat only whole foods, none processed with no added sugar 

1 hour ago, pwonline said:

The keto article you posted is not relevant here, I'm not into state of ketosis indefinitely, I'm consuming 90g carbs in one sitting, though I don't get hungry whatsoever so I do wonder if I have a higher carb limit to remain in ketosis but I'm not sure. I eat only whole foods, none processed with no added sugar 

You are consuming a higher fat diet than the Inuits did in the 1930s, if I recall correctly. Unless you have the Arctic gene mutation, which is found in almost 100% of the Inuit, a bit less than in 15% of the Hun Chinese and less than 2% of Europeans, it's unlikely that your diet promotes longevity. In fact, even with the mitigating mutation, Inuit mummies show that they had a fairly high percent of CVD and had a relatively short life expectancy.

But we each make individual dietary decisions and while based on my knowledge I am fairly certain that whole plant-based high carb diet is optimum for longevity, I may be also wrong. Time will tell, I guess.

For reference, my own intake over the last year is:

Carbs (whole): 60% 
Protein:             15%
Fat:                    25%

My carb intake is mostly sweet potatoes, tomatoes and squash, and about equally divided between fiber, starches and sugars, with virtually no added sugars.

My fat mostly from walnuts and almonds, with flax, avocado and chia as the top five sources. I wish I could bring it down to the teens, bt it's proving harder than I thought.

I am curious how long have you been on such high fat diet and how does your blood work look, and how is your insulin resistance?

1 hour ago, Ron Put said:

You are consuming a higher fat diet than the Inuits did in the 1930s, if I recall correctly. Unless you have the Arctic gene mutation, which is found in almost 100% of the Inuit, a bit less than in 15% of the Hun Chinese and less than 2% of Europeans, it's unlikely that your diet promotes longevity. In fact, even with the mitigating mutation, Inuit mummies show that they had a fairly high percent of CVD and had a relatively short life expectancy.

But we each make individual dietary decisions and while based on my knowledge I am fairly certain that whole plant-based high carb diet is optimum for longevity, I may be also wrong. Time will tell, I guess.

For reference, my own intake over the last year is:

Carbs (whole): 60% 
Protein:             15%
Fat:                    25%

My carb intake is mostly sweet potatoes, tomatoes and squash, and about equally divided between fiber, starches and sugars, with virtually no added sugars.

My fat mostly from walnuts and almonds, with flax, avocado and chia as the top five sources. I wish I could bring it down to the teens, bt it's proving harder than I thought.

I am curious how long have you been on such high fat diet and how does your blood work look, and how is your insulin resistance?

I guess I've stuck on this diet for 1-2 months. I was consuming 180g pot barley with 180g red lentils and I think ~60g Extra virgin Olive Oil.

I wanted to get my carbs and protein lower so I then did 140g pot barley , 140g red lentils and increased my Evoo to get me to my target of 1850 calories. My body after the first big drop (20g both barley and lentils) almost had an episode of Diarrhea, I've been there and didn't want to risk cranking up my EVOO to soon, so each week I dropped 5g from my legumes and barley and upped my EVOO, worked out at around 2 grams each week I add.

I'm currently at 105g barley, 105g red lentils, with my

Carbs: 92g

Protein: 72g

fat: 130g

I went extreme keto for a month and know the adaptation phase well and I believe I'm experiencing this again with this diet. It's been  almost 3 weeks of this diet strict where I noticed my hunger levels have gone to zero and my energy levels have plummeted, I might not look it but I'm working real hard just to walk a normal pace, it feels like such an effort that I've learnt only to move the limbs that need moving and relax the limbs that don't.

I want to get to 90g lentils/legumes which would get me to 105g EVOO! at that point just the EVOO would account for exactly 50% of my daily intake. I drink it first thing in my meal, measure it in a glass and drink it in 5 shots.

I'm doing OMAD. My weight is either steady at 105 pounds and is slowly gaining weight. I'm currently at 17 bmi.

I'm not sure if I want to increase my BMI to 18.5, I actually feel fine though have noticed my hair has started thinning and falling of but not aggressively. I want to see this experiment through to 3 months.

If I'm correct then my mitochondria would have gone through full6 cycles (2 week per cycle) which means they should be fully adapted and I'll burn fat very efficiently allowing me to tap more into my ketones from the fat.

I haven't done any bloodwork on my current diet. I also consuming 40g of fibre from my diet a day. I've been eating the same meal for 2-3 months, just varying the EVOO and my carbs (lentils/barley)

PWonline, your diet is very interesting and incredibly simple, just 3 ingredients, I love it as I would love a minimalistic work of art.

I assume of course that you are supplementing all the missing micronutrients, like B complex vitamins, C vitamin, Calcium, retinol which is nihil in your regime, and so on. 

Some of your amminoacids are just at borderline RDAs and methionine is low. Maybe too low.

I would not worry at all for your EVOO consumption, since it's all monousaturated fats, but I'm not very surprised that your energy is not optimal.

I also hope you've checked your bloodworks...

• 4 months later...

the polyphenols content is high, but not exceptionally high, if we are speaking about the subset of hi-poly EVOOS.

This I read on the Kosterina site.

image.png.a0e6bdf584951da40ef273c21ad40771.png

Oilalà Coratina oil, grown in Italy not so far from my place, in its latest crop has about 550 mg/kg of polyphenol content. Maybe Kosterina has a better taste but here Oilalà costs about one fifth of the kosterina prices I saw online (16 Euros per liter). Oilalà ships to the USA, free of charge for orders of at least 450 Euros (you must buy at least six 5-liters packs). The bag in box solution has an optimized preservation of the polyphenols.

This year I bought from a local producer of organic EVOO, with a lower polyphenols content and almost half the price of Oilalà. I eat so much of it that I make up for the lesser polyphenols.

Microplastics: the producers apparently are still ignoring this very recent aspect.

• 6 months later...

I just ran across this, and I don't believe it has been posted here before:

An olive oil-rich diet results in higher concentrations of LDL cholesterol and a higher number of LDL subfraction particles than rapeseed oil and sunflower oil diets

"We investigated the effect of olive oil, rapeseed oil, and sunflower oil on blood lipids and lipoproteins including number and lipid composition of lipoprotein subclasses....

In conclusion, rapeseed oil and sunflower oil had more favorable effects on blood lipids and plasma apolipoproteins as well as on the number and lipid content of LDL subfractions compared with olive oil. Some of the differences may be attributed to differences in the squalene and phytosterol contents of the oils.—
Pedersen, A., M. W. Baumstark, P. Marckmann, H. Gylling, and B. Sandström. An olive oil-rich diet results in higher concentrations of LDL cholesterol and a higher number of LDL subfraction particles than rapeseed oil and sunflower oil diets."

Interesting study, very detailed, my only criticism  is that they did not measure concentrations of phytonutrients like secoiridoids and so on. Maybe some more detailed studies will say to us if there is a difference among differing qualities of EVOO ant blood cholesterol levels.

However, whatever the results may be, I would never use RO or SO as a condiment for my vegetables, since they are all but tasteless compared to the EVOOs I consume. One or two tablespoons added to a dish of steamed veggies or a salad makes all the difference in the world, especially so if it is a hi-quality, hi-polyphenols EVOO.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
16 hours ago, mccoy said:

Oilalà has published the lab results of some of the 2023 EVOO crops, total polyphenols would not seem to be exceptionally high, but the numbers must be probably interpreted

https://www.oilala.com/analisi-olio-extravergine-oliva/

image.png

Interesting. Do you know how it could be so much lower? I can't imagine harvest conditions changed enough to cut the phenolic content in half...perhaps they altered their testing method. 

I've come across a lot of other Italian Coratina oils that claim very high phenolic content. For example, this one https://www.agricolatricarico.it/products/baginboxdongiovanniolioextraverginebiologico-bboxdg claims 866 mg/kg. I just ordered 3L on ebay, though not sure it will actually ship to me.

Tea, I don't know what to say about the Oilalà analyses, the total amount of the compounds they cite is higher than the total phenolic content, so maybe they are not all phenols? A quick search did not dissipate my doubts. Oilalà published some comments on the single compounds but I must gather the time to read it. Still it does not add up.

RE. Tricarico, at this point I wonder about te reliability of the analyses, although the society seem credible and some comments on the strong and spicy taste would allude to a naturally high content in polyphenols, qualitatively speaking.

Last year was an exceptionally bad crop because of climate reasons, I don't know if this may explain a lowering in polyphenols.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wrote Tricarico about the claim of 866 mg/kg polyphenols, whether it is just PFs or it includes tocopherols, and whether they have lab analyses to back it up this year, I might give it a try if they show to be reliable.

Tricarico has sent me a snapshot of the sheet. This year total polyphenols are 627 mg/kg, still a very good value. In the sheet, they are called 'biofenoli totali', or total biophenols, the sum of the concentration of the singularly listed phenols is 530 mg/kg, I don't know why, probably not all single phenols have been analyzed but there si a way to know their sum

image.png.afa08669cc53c2ff7f6879aca178656a.png

On 3/30/2024 at 9:32 AM, mccoy said:

Tricarico has sent me a snapshot of the sheet. This year total polyphenols are 627 mg/kg, still a very good value. In the sheet, they are called 'biofenoli totali', or total biophenols, the sum of the concentration of the singularly listed phenols is 530 mg/kg, I don't know why, probably not all single phenols have been analyzed but there si a way to know their sum

Thanks for sharing the report. Unfortunately Tricarico was not ready to ship to USA and refunded my order. I may try to track down an early harvest Picual or Cornicabra from Spain this year (they often seem to report 500-900 mg/kg polyphenols).

I did try Bryan Johnson's Blueprint olive oil at a gathering recently; while the color was a very vibrant green I found the taste to be not significantly more robust than my 2022 harvest Oilala Coratina.